eight

a week flies by in maya's vacation, and then two, and soon enough it's been three weeks, with only six more weeks of hawaii, the beach, and riley left to enjoy.

they're sitting on the beach together, feet curled in the warm sand while the sun sets over the horizon. it's like a cheesy romance flick, except instead of a boy and a girl who are meant to be together, it's just two girls. two girls who only have one summer.

"i feel like i've known you forever, maya," riley murmurs -- her voice is soft compared to the loud crashes of waves in front of them, it sounds too fragile compared to the laughter and squeals of children surrounding them.

"i feel like i've known you forever, too. you're my best friend, riles," maya returns, a soft smile on her face.

the brunette lays her head on maya's shoulder, and although the moment is supposed to be caring, it feels bittersweet. ever since they had talked about her leaving after the summer, the thought of their goodbyes had been looming over them every moment they spent with each other. even through laughter and water fights with the group, the smiles were always coincided with a hint of sadness. they could celebrate the happy moments while they had the chance, but they all knew the truth. maya would be leaving in six weeks, and she wouldn't return.

"i don't know if ill ever meet someone like you. that worries me. what if i never care for someone like i care for you?" riley asks, lifting her head off the blonde's shoulder and looking at her with her doe eyes that maya adores so much.

"you won't, riley. you'll never have any friendship with anyone that's like ours. but you'll meet someone who you care for so much, that you won't mind," she assures, although the thought stung her chest.

she doesnt want to think about another girl in riley's life. she doesnt want to think of someone else waking up in riley's bed or dancing until odd hours of the night with her girl.

her girl.

is she hers? is riley matthews, who shines like the sun, maya harts girl?

no.

because a girl like riley is nobody's but her own. she isnt an object, isnt someone who will ever be claimed or taken possession of.

riley matthews is the sun and everything orbits around her -- she shines for herself. and no girl, not even maya, can take that shine and mistake it for her own.

and maya knows this; she knows that riley is not hers. she will never be hers, no matter how many weeks she stays, no matter how many sleepovers they have, riley will not be hers.

with this thought racing through her mind, with all of the sadness and realization this brings her, maya pulls riley in and kisses her.

she kisses her because she is the moon, and the moon never gets to keep the sun. she kisses her because this is their only chance to be together, before the moon disappears as it always does, to be with the stars and the night sky, while the sun stays where it is, to be with the clouds and the bright colors of the world.

maya hart kisses riley matthews like there is nothing she'd ever wanted more.

she kisses her because she cant take riley for her own, but she can leave a mark on her lips to show that she has been there, and that, at one point in their lives, they had almost belonged to each other.

--

ahh, i feel like i really poured my heart out in this chapter. i hope its okay???
-KAYLA