eleven

Maya quickly finds out that Josh is a regular when it comes to Riley's friend group.
        Despite being older – he's a college student, Maya learns  – he still fits in well with the rest of the group. He's charming, and sweet, and just like Riley to an overwhelming extent.
        Nobody can quite put their finger on why exactly Josh is suddenly making excuses to hang out with a bunch of high schoolers, but they all have an idea that it has something to do with Maya.  She knows that they're aware of Josh's not-so-subtle crush on her, but she pretends they aren't. Maya doesn't want to acknowledge this, not yet, maybe not ever.
       In fact, she's hoping that she can possibly make it back to New York without ever confronting this quick-paced crush.  Fingers crossed.
        Within the first four days of meeting Josh, he finds reasons to be around her every day.  The company isn't unwanted – it's kind of nice. She needs all of the positive influences she can get, and Josh happens to fit right in with Riley in that genre.
      However, she knows it's weird. Knows that Farkle side eyes them when they go off to play volleyball by themselves, knows that Zay is giving Riley pitiful glances because, god, that girl is so oblivious. But it isn't a big deal.
      She doesn't like Josh or anything. She likes Riley; she likes kissing Riley in private, and likes the way that they'll hold hands at the beach sometimes.  Riley is beautiful and sweet and she always tastes like cinnamon.  Riley feels like home, and Josh could never compete with that.
        But Maya finds herself enjoying Josh's presence more than she should.  They hang out by themselves a lot, and sometimes they watch movies together at his house. A lot. In fact, in the past four days, she's spent three of them at his house, and she likes it. He smells like cologne and apples, and sometimes he drapes his arm around her and she just feels so, so comfortable. And safe. So she likes him, maybe, a little. But not like that.
        She's sitting on Riley's bed as she thinks about these things, waiting for her friend to come back with the popcorn she's making.  It's two in the morning, and they've been happily rewatching Gossip Girl since five in the evening.  She's got three blankets draped over her, and she's so comfortable and high on the feeling of Riley's presence that she feels like maybe she could pass out from happiness.  She feels this way a lot around Riley.
        When Riley returns, she lays down next to maya, popcorn bowl in between them and her head resting on Maya's shoulder.  Riley's a good few inches taller, and it should feel awkward, but rather, it feels so right having the taller girl tucked into her side like this.
        Maya presses play on the laptop, chewing on popcorn kernels as the show begins.  She's so distracted by her snacking, she doesn't notice Riley staring at her, a fond glint in her eyes.
        She doesn't notice Riley leaning in, either, until their lips are pressed together and Riley's hand is on her neck.
        They kiss gently, and Maya tries to memorize the feeling of Riley's lips against hers, tries to put the memory in a box in her mind and lock it away for safe keeping.
        They don't pull away until the door to Riley's room opens. 
        Maya tugs her head back, looking towards the door.  She expects to see Cory or Topanga, or maybe Auggie.  All of which would be embarrassing, but she knows they'll be okay with Maya kissing their girl if they see.  They like her, they think she's good for Riley.
        Who she doesn't expect to see, is Josh standing at the door, sheepishly scratching the back of his neck.
        "Uh- sorry. I wasn't trying to interrupt. I just got back from a party down the road and I didn't want to go all the way home. Cory said I could join you guys, that you were both awake but I didn't think-"
        "It's okay! You're not interrupting. Come on, you can join our Gossip Girl marathon!" Riley responds, grinning widely and gesturing to the empty spot beside Maya for him to sit down.
        Riley misses the look of disappointment on Josh's face, but Maya doesn't.  Riley is oblivious to the sudden awkwardness in the room, but Maya isn't.
        She doesn't know why it feels so weird.  It isn't like she led Josh on.  Sure, she never directly told him that she was, like, kind of with Riley, but he should've figured that out, right?
       Maya lets the guilt of the situation weigh down on her chest as she sits between the two Matthews, one of which is holding her hand tightly, and the other who wishes he were holding it as well.

________

hi.. omg. i'm already so bad at updating. i got super busy :( this chapter kind of sucks but.. still hope u enjoyed it.
please vote + leave feedback! super appreciated.

-kayla 🖤