nine

two weeks pass – and not much has changed. maya's slowly coming to terms with the fact that she'll be leaving in four weeks, and takes shelter in riley's lips and late night dancing in her best friend's bedroom.

currently, they're sitting on the floor of maya's hotel, legs spread out in sweatpants and lose shirts, drawing doodles on separate notebooks.

maya thinks this might be complete bliss, sitting there, and soaking in the feeling of riley matthews. their legs are brushing, and every moment or so they'll touch arms as they draw. they're simple touches, not supposed to mean anything, but the gentleness sends harsh sparks up their spines and bittersweet hymns radiating in each other's minds.

riley tires of drawing quickly, shoving her unfinished, lousy drawing of a flower off to the side. it's colored bright yellow and outside of the lines, but maya can't help but tear the mediocre drawing out of the book and stick it in her own portfolio.

"you're a much better artist than i am, peaches," riley hums, leaning back against maya's side.

maya's picture is simply a sketch of the sun, a contrast of darkness behind it and a single ray of light radiating off of the bright orb. it's not her best, she knows, but riley likes it, so she thinks it's her favorite work yet. she snaps shut the notebook, pressing a kiss to riley's temple.

"there's a party tonight, we should go," riley suggests, hand reaching for maya's and giving it a squeeze.

"yeah? we'll go, then," the blonde agrees, noting how warm riley's body feels against hers in the cool of the room.

she thinks riley's a reincarnation of the sun, always can tell by how much maya's burning in her heat, suffocating in the warmth and love that is riley matthews.

"cool! wanna kiss you first,"  the brunette giggles, tackling her with small kisses being peppered around her best friend's face and neck.

it's innocent and pure, and maya wonders how lovely riley can possibly get. she thinks riley might be the death of her.

very short :( next chapter will be dramatic though!! i'm also looking for a new cover for the story + more ideas as to where to go with this so if you wanna help a girl out, message me haha. ill give you credit and stuff (ps pls take a second to vote & give some feedback xx)
-KAYLA💖