Chapter 1 | A New Light

"Lynn! Wake up you doll." My roommate Felix said shaking my thigh. "Piss off. Gimme a few more minutes." I groaned. I felt the couch dip by my back. "Sorry love. But Lyndsay Gunner needs to be awake to clean up her mess from last night." He said and I turned over to see my mess of beer bottles. I sat up and took it all in taking a big breath if air. "Sorry. I'll get to the cleaning Fee." I said standing up and stretching and cracking my bones.

"Oi! Will you stop it with the cracking. You know how it makes me feel." Felix  said swatting my arm. I let out a chuckle and started gathering my empties. Felix is my age 20. He's from the UK but he came and moved in with me when I got my own place. We've been friends for ever. I actually used to live with him at one point. At one of the homes in the UK. I was their before I got adopted and taken to Canada. Where I was put in another home cause I was unwanted again.

Now me and Fee live in a beautiful place in downtown Toronto. Sure there's only one bed, but the couch is just as comfy some nights. Me an Fee are what you would call sketchy people I guess. Fee was into the drugs and I used to do shady deals. But that's all behind us now.

I turned from picking up bottles to see Felix painting one of his blow buddies on a canvas. I honestly don't know how I've lived woth this fool for 9 months so far. "You really got to paint that while I'm around." I said tossing the bag of empty cans. "Well your welcome to go. He's actually gonna be stopping by." He said winking. I groaned.

"Please wash the sheets when you two are done yea." I said grabbing my guitar case and phone. "Tah tah" He said as I walked out the door. I walked down the stairs hoping I wasn't going to bump Into who ever Fee was gonna shag. I walked down a couple roads till I found the place I always set up my guitar. It's outside this little Korean shop. The woman who works here likes my music and she thinks it draws more customers for her.

I waved through the window to her and started to get my guitar out. I put the strap around me and started to play songs. A group of people circled me and listened to me play.

"You look as good as the day I met you, I forget just why I left you, i was  insane. Say, play that Blink-182 song.."

I sang and people started to put money in my guitar case. This is not how we pay the bills if you were wondering. We still have a 29000 fund from stolen coke we stole from a guy I used to run with. I guess you could say we got rich then got out. Though that money isn't gonna last forever.

Is started to play my own original songs, and a few of my regulars even started to lip sync with me. I smiled as I strummed my guitar. As I finished my set I pulled my long brown hair over my shoulder and ran my fingers through it. I started to pack my things up and I waved back to the old lady in the shop. I hope Fees man isn't still their. I thought to myself.

It's not just because I'm gay, I'd just rather not catch them still going at it again. I swear we need a bigger place. I held my guitar handle for my case and started to make my way back to my place. I walked down the usual way with my head down as I watched my feet. That was till I knocked someone over and dropped my guitar case at the same time.

"Oh! I'm so-" I cut myself off as soon as I saw who I knocked down. It was a girl..and she looks just like me. I could tell she was taking it all in too. Cause she also just stared at me. "I...I'm so sorry." I said giving her a hand up and grabbing my case. "Oh, don't mention it." She said fixing her hair. Which happened to be over the same shoulder as mine.

"I..this is crazy." I finally said. "How do we look exactly alike." She said checking me out which caused me to smirk. "I have no idea." I said and it got quiet again. This is really weird. I feel like we have so much to talk about but she's a total stranger. "Oh. I'm Lyndsey." She said shaking my hand. And I stopped when she said her name.

"I'm Lyndsay too." I said and slowly let go of her hand. "Okay. I'm so confused. First we look like twins. Now we have the same name??" She said scratching  her neck. I nodded my head at her and then my phone beeped.

Felix: he's gone doll. Your welcome home.

I read his message and looked up at Lyndsey. "I got to go." I said and started to walk past her. What was I supposed to do. Take her out for supper and talk about the scary coincidences between us. "What am I supposed to do with this new information." She said which caused me to turn around. I walked back to her and wrote my number down and handed it to her. "You can call me." I said and gave her a smile and turned back around started my way home.

I really don't know what that was back there. A girl who looks exactly like me and has the same name. I would never watch a movie with that story plot. I got home and placed my things away and tossed the $79 dollars I made on the table and collapsed on the couch.

Felix came over shortly and started to bug me. "Fee. I'm serious. Bugger off." I said shoving him a little. I am an Orphan, but I always thought of Felix as my brother. "I know somethings bothering you. So spill. I'll make us a cuppa." He said getting up and walking to the kitchen. I followed his lead.

"I met this girl-" "Ohhh, was she hot." He said. I snorted. "She looked exactly like me. She had the same name and everything. I had no idea what was going on. It was like looking in in a mirror." I said taking a drink of my tea. "Are you going to see her again." He asked. "I think I have to. I can't just walk away from somthing like that can i." I said.

"Well. This new Lyndsay Gunner isn't a quiter." Felix said and I looked at him. "Would you please stop calling me my full name. Geez, you don't see me calling you Felix Gorough every time something about you is off." I said chuckling. "Oi! When am I ever off." He said trying to defend himself and I just gave him that look and he had no choice but to agree with me.