||Five||

Fast forward a few days, and I still felt guilt weigh down on my shoulders from not responding to Nate.

Part of me was convinced that he hadn't even noticed, but another part of me wished that he would. That he would email me in a week or so and ask me "where've you been?" or "are you okay?"

Or, in my pettiest dreams, "I'm sorry for choosing Ian over you. It was the biggest mistake of my life. Come back."

I was pathetic.

Wishing for a guy I couldn't have as if he were the last one to exist.

Fuck that.

I twisted in bed, unable to sleep despite it being late well into the night.

Even Dan was all cuddled up and spooning his new girl, eyes screwed shut, arm slung over her waist.

I tore my gaze away from them.

It wouldn't even last long. I gave it twenty four hours at best.

I readjusted my pillow.

It would still be day time where Nate lived. In that apartment he shared with Ian. The dog probably yapping for attention somewhere while they ignored it, making out in the kitchen while Nate held a mug of steaming, hot tea between them.

Nate in fuzzy socks and a hoodie half-hanging over one shoulder. He was probably warm, especially if Ian had his tongue down his throat.

Warmer than the cold in my dorm room.

My phone buzzed from my bedside table, and I grabbed for it like the desperate man I was.

Scarlet.

Please tell me you have his number

Who's number?

Raphael

How the fuck did you know?

You're such an idiot. Text him

Now?

There's a reason you're awake

Gross. What are you insinuating?

Shut up

I'll text him but only if you promise to stay out of my business

No

For an hour

Ok

I turned on the lamp beside my bed and grabbed the paper I'd copied Raphael's number onto, and transferred it to my phone.

Then I stared at the 'message' button for what seemed like an hour.

Hey

Who's this?

Scarlet was right. I was an idiot.

Jake

Oh, hey. What are you doing up so late?

Could ask you the same question

Late shift

Ah

What's up?

Scarlet thought I should send you a text

And you do everything Scarlet thinks you should?

I flipped my pillow over.

Okay rude

I was genuinely curious