||Seven||

There was still no sign of Dan when I woke the next morning, and I was starting to feel a little guilty for not doing anything about it.

I made it to work at around 8am since I had no classes, and Ben instantly placed a mug of coffee in my hand.

"Thank you," I said.

He nodded. "I'll be at the back sorting through some paper work."

"Wait," I called, "what should I do today?"

"Serve our first customer, perhaps?"

I frowned and parted my lips to speak but he'd already shut the door behind him.

I turned around and an old woman walked in through the door.

Right.

I spent the morning like that, helping all sorts of people around the store.

The old woman was looking for a gift, a middle aged man bought a grandfather clock that took almost an entire wall, and a woman who constantly had her hand over her swollen stomach ran the tips of her fingers against a hand painted crib.

As I watched from a distance, I started to notice things.

The look on people's faces when they found something interesting, the gleam in their eyes, their outstretched fingers, the delicate smiles on their lips. When they bought things; their friendly smiles as they handed me their money, the careful way they handled their new goods. And when they wanted things they couldn't have they would smile sadly, lift it from its place on one of the shelves, and then replace it before moving along.

At some point in the morning, Ben crawled outside the backroom to place a record on the gramophone, and the soft, elegant sound of violins moved around the room. He went back into the room, and as I sat behind the counter, I felt as if I'd traveled back in time. Everything already looked old, but the music did something that the other inanimate objects failed to do. It made it seem real.

My shift ended in the late afternoon. I said goodbye to Ben and walked away from the store, wondering where to go next.

My phone beeped. An email from Nate.

I felt the usual tug at my heart strings, but I ignored the notification, thinking that I needed to take a break and how proud Raphael would be if he'd heard me say that.

A sudden idea sprung in my mind and I walked the rest of the way knowing where I was heading.

But when I got to the tea shop, had some tea, and snuck around to the back, I didn't see Raphael on the ground, his head resting against the trash can.

Frowning, I thought maybe he was actually doing his job inside, but I texted him to ask of his whereabouts anyway.

What, you're obsessed with me already?

Just curious

It's my day off

In the middle of the week?

I get Sunday off too if you must know

What are you up to?

With some friends

You have friends?

Fuck off

Ouch

My phone buzzed in my hand and Raphael's name flashed on my screen.

"What do you want?" his voice sounded muffled in my ear.