Prologue

There's something about the way the moonlight reflects off the water that is just indescribable, enchanting even. The soft ripples slowly spreading out into the distance are the only sign that you aren't staring at an oil painting.

Thick layers of towering woodland trees surround the outskirts of the lake. Simplistic beauty is something only nature can master time and time again.

A girl shadowed in darkness stands at the edge of the lake, the water gently lapping at her bare feet making the only other audible sound apart from the gentle rustling of leaves.

A shiver runs down the girl's spine but she doesn't mind or acknowledge it. She likes the cold; it's the same temperature as her skin.

The girl's thoughts swirl, her mind engulfed in an existential downward spiral. The whole concept of time. Her kind live forever; but what does forever really mean? Until the sun dies? Beyond?

What even is time? A concept. Time seems to be able to warp itself into going faster or slower from different perspectives. For one person the same minute can feel like an hour, for another, a second. Time only goes slowly when you begin to notice it because there is nothing else to inhabit your thoughts.

The girl thinks that's why the last year of her existence has gone so slow; because she's lonely. How can she not notice the seconds ticking away when she has nothing and no one to occupy them with? Sure she has her family but she needs change.

The shadowy figure turns slowly away from the lake and makes the short walk back to her cabin on the outskirts of her village. She lived alone but her parents and brother lived in a cabin just across the village and her friends were also close by.

The cabin was made of wood and had only one floor. It consisted of two bedrooms, a living room, dining room and a kitchen and was more than big enough for the vampire to live alone and if someone else was to move in. Unfortunately, she was yet to find her partner; unusual for a vampire her age.

It was a reasonably sized community of her kind and they all lived there in a forest close to New York City. Wolves and vampires lived in harmony in the same place and they regularly went into the city to work and shop where they would have to hide their identities.

The girls' community disagreed with the traditional vampire life and so only drank animal blood and ate normal food just like any human would.

Humans were unaware of the existence of the girls' kind although they were aware of legends describing the lifestyle and features of vampires and wolves. Most knew of the legends; many had claimed to have seen them but none knew the whole truth.

A human discovering their existence could mean a threat to their universe. A threat to their universe could mean life or death.

As long as they were careful, as long as they blended in with normal life, as long as their interactions with human kind were limited everything would be fine, right?

A/N Just a short introduction. Updates will be slightly slow but hopefully regular because I am back at school and very busy. I'm excited to work with this concept, let me know what you think :) 

Gone.जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें