Lesson One

"Babe, we can go home if you aren't going to take this seriously." Taylor huffs as she folds her arms.

"No, Tay! I was just kidding," Karlie tries to comfort as she reaches out to grab Taylor's arm. Taylor flinches away from her girlfriend's touch as she turns her back.

"You just don't seem to get it," she says, her voice wavers sounding as though she is on the verge of tears.

"Please don't get upset. I am taking this seriously, I promise. Just... just show me what to do," her voice is calm and this time when she reaches out Taylor doesn't flinch away. Slowly, she turns Taylor around. The trees above them creak quietly when a small gust of wind blows as they stand on the edge of a forest clearing.

Karlie takes her hand to tilt Taylor's jaw upwards but Taylor's fiery blue eyes refuse to meet Karlie's.

"Look at me," the taller girl says evenly.

Taylor exhales heavily and brings her watery eyes up to meet Karlie's forest green ones.

"Tell me what you're thinking."

"I... I just don't think you're taking this seriously. You know how big of a deal this is. Karlie... you're not human anymore and that's my fault. I just can't find the words to express the severity of that. The least I can do for you is teach you how to survive and you just... this isn't a joke. Maybe..." Taylor looks down to the ground as she links their fingers together, "maybe it was too soon. Maybe this was a mistake and we should've waited. What if this goes wrong and you leave me? I'm a monster. I've... I've ruined your life," tears begin streaming down the girl's face as her voice becomes more and more strained as her speech progresses.

For a moment Karlie doesn't know what to say. She knows that Taylor is wrong, but she just can't find the words. "No."

"What?" The older girl says as she sniffles.

Karlie tightens her hold on Taylor's hand, "none of that is true. This wasn't too soon and I know how massive this is, can you blame me for trying to make a joke from time to time? You have not ruined my life either. I've never heard something so stupid. From the moment I saw you in the store my life got better, brighter. I mean... I hate to break it to you Taylor... but vampires live forever, so like it or not you're stuck with me for a very long time. And I wouldn't want it any other way."

A small, sad smile plays on the older girl's lips. "There you go again, making light-hearted jokes. You don't understand Karlie. No one can even comprehend forever. But thank you for saying those things anyway." If the girl's tone wasn't one of utter sadness Karlie would've thought Taylor was being confrontational. The sound of Taylor's voice cracking almost breaks Karlie.

"Then make me understand. Show me how to hunt," she replies with a tug of Taylor's arm.

Taylor nods her head slowly with pursed lips as she turns to continue leading her partner through the forest. She doesn't stop to wipe the tears from her cheeks. "You have to listen very carefully. When we get close to something, you'll be able to hear its heartbeat."

"Okay, woah. That's insane."

"It's how I always knew when you were coming up behind me," she smirks, seeming almost back to her usual self. "Come on." The shorter girl drags Karlie a little harder as she breaks into a jog that eventually turns into full speed. It amuses her watching Karlie get used to the speed, her arms flap about whenever she jumps to avoid fallen logs. The blurry leafless trees form a picturesque backdrop to the girl. Taylor couldn't deny it, the girl was made to be a model, even if she is a little biased.