Chapter Nine

Kid, wake up, it's time for school!" Liz shakes me. I groan. I don't want to wake up! It's too early! "C'mon, Kid. It's time to wake up." That time it wasn't Liz. I open my eyes. My vision is a little blurry, but it adjusts to the light. I feel by butt poking up in the air. I sit up and yawn. To my right Patty sits on the bed and to my left is Liz. "Good morning." I say. Patty smiles. "Good morning, sleepy head!" she yells.

I hop out of bed and start my daily routine: shower, get dressed, eat, brush teeth, wash face, and head out for school with Patty and Liz at my sides. The three of us finally arrive at school, with – once again – three minutes to spare.

We get to Stein's room, but on the door, there's a note: "Class canceled today." Maka reads it aloud. The rest of the class zooms off – along with Liz – leaving Maka, Black*Star, Soul, Patty, and Tsubaki behind. "I wonder where she's headed." Soul said about Liz. No one answers him.

"Meet me at the courts in 30, everyone!" Black*Star says. We all look at each other and shrug our shoulders. Patty and I head back home to get ready.

We arrive at the courts a little later than expected. Patty was trying to get Liz to participate in our activities, but she said something about her hair not being done, so we came alone. We started the game as quickly as possible. Yomi isn't here yet. Maka says that she should be back from an assignment later today. Crona is on the bench, looking sad, like always.

The game is almost over. Yomi finally came. She was wearing one of Soul's yellow and black jackets with his headband that says "eat" on it and some black pants. She sits on the bench next to Crona and they start talking. I look over at Soul. He's wearing a shirt with blue sleeves and a white base with the lips and the word "eat" on it too.

Maka goes and greets her older sister. I just watch. When she comes back the game begins again. After a little while, I notice Yomi's laughter. I turn and watch as she laughs. Crona's smiling too. She makes friends so easily.

"Hey, Kid, look alive!" I hear Black*Star say. I feel something bounce off my head, making me fall on the ground. I rub my head. Maka is yelling at Black*Star and Patty is cracking up in the background. I rub my head. Everyone crows around me. Even Yomi. "Kid, are you alright?" Soul asks. Yomi helps me up.

"You shoulda been paying attention." Black*Star says. "THAT DOESN'T GIVE YOU A RIGHT TO HIT ME, IDIOT!" I shout. Everyone laughs.

We end the game late. Its dark outside by the time I get home. Patty runs upstairs to tell Liz about what happened at the court today. She didn't stop laughing the entire way home. She's a nutcase!

The next night Stein tells us that he was out on a mission to find the kishin, but no clues were found. So we have to stay outside on guard for a little while tonight. Liz and Patty are in weapon form.

It's quite boring out here. It's so dead and silent. The little conversation I have with Liz and Patty only keeps me occupied for a while, until Patty asks, "Are you and Yomi dating, Kid?" "Uh, yeah. I guess you can call it that." I say. "Why haven't you told anyone yet?" Liz asked. "I don't know. It never really comes up." I shrug. Liz hums. "Do you like her?" Liz asks. "OF COURSE I LIKE HER! WHY WOULD I GO OUT WITH SOMEONE I DON'T LIKE?" I shout. "It was just a question." Liz said. "HAHA! Kid has a girlfriend!" Patty sings. I sweat drop.

I hear a swoop, somewhere in the area. I hush Patty. She sings quieter. I hear it again. Liz hears it as well. Patty is too busy singing her taunting little song. It gets a little frustrating after a while. Then a little more frustrating. Then a little more. Until… "WILL YOU PLEASE SHUT UP, PATTY! I'M TRYING TO CATCH A KISHIN!" I shout. Right after that something fly's right past me. I look behind me. A person is running. "Damn it, Patty!" I yell. Summon my skateboard and chase after the person. My leg gets tired and I use my skateboard to fly – it's so much faster and easier. But sadly, I lost the person who ran past me.

I search for them. A shriek is heard from just about a block away from where I am. I rush.

The same person stood over a woman's bloody body. A blue soul in their hands. "So you're the kishin that's been killing these people?" I ask. The person is wearing a cloak. Like the ones Eruka and Free were wearing in the Death Room. But this time, there is no witch.

The figure removes their cloak, and this time, under the hood was a beautiful face. A wonderful, familiar face. This may be the only time I hate to see it.

It's Yomi.