Chapter 2 - Being the Perfect Student is Overrated

Bark. Bark. Bark.

Three soft barks woke me from my sleep and I groaned, I hadn't gotten to bed until well after midnight last night and I was paying the toll. It had been a couple of days since my little confrontation with the Chemistry teacher, Mr Mason, and he seemed to be still holding a grudge. Whether it was just because he knew my name and no one else's or the fact that he enjoyed pestering me, I seemed to be his 'favourite' student.

Yesterday afternoon when I got back I took Zeus for his walk, after the long day I'd had I got tired so I bought a coffee, I didn't usually like coffee because I hated the taste but I felt like I needed the caffeine to keep up with Zeus, this was a bad idea - I couldn't get to sleep so I ended up baking a million cupcakes. One in particular for a certain teacher of mine...

Rolling over my body left the mattress and I fell to the ground with a thump. Letting out another groan I rolled over just in time for the dog to start nudging me to get up. Who needs an alarm clock when you have a dog?

"Yeah, yeah. Zeus I'm up" I grumbled getting up from the ground

Stumbling toward the bathroom I stripped off my pajamas and climbed into the shower. The hot water washed away some of my drowsiness, using my favourite watermelon scented shampoo I soaped up my blue hair enjoying the scent. A couple of minutes later I emerged from the shower clean and refreshed. Pulling on a fresh pair of clothes that consisted of black pair of jeans shorts and light blue tie-dyed shirt. The blue of the shirt matched my hair perfectly and I smiled, my father had bought this shirt for me when he came to visit last time.

After blow drying my hair I let it cascade down my shoulders in its natural waves, leaning closer to the mirror I put on some mascara and eye-liner - I was never really big on wearing make up. I only wore it high school because it was expected of me. Pushing back the memories from high school I looked at myself in the mirror, I had the same crystal blue eyes as my mother paired with her slightly tanned skin. A sad smile crossed my face as I realized what the date was. I had been exactly 2 years but I remembered the day as if it were yesterday. The sound of the generic ring tone of my phone pulled me from my thoughts as I rushed from the bathroom to pick up my iPhone from its charger. Without looking at the caller ID I raised the phone to my ear,

"Hello?"

"Max?" My dads soothing voice travelled through the phone and I instantly relaxed

"Dad, hey. How are you today?" I asked tentatively sitting down on the edge of my bed

A sigh came from the other side, "The same as usual I guess, I miss you. I wish we could've spent today together... You should come visit some time, I've just started a new project and I have a feeling you'd love it. Plus... I could introduce you to the guys at the office, they'd love to meet you considering I'm always talking about the famous Max" He stated sheepishly

I let out a laugh thankful for the mood to be lightened and a smile crossed my face, "Yeah, I'll come visit soon. I'm a bit busy with my studies now but I'll definitely take you up on your offer"

"All good sweets, how are your studies going by the way? Are they too hard? Or too easy?" He asked with a knowing tone when he asked the last part

A grin split it's way onto my face, "Ah you know me too well, and everything is pretty easy... Although one of the Chemistry classes I'm taking, the teacher doesn't seem to like me much..." I went into detail as I explained what had happened over the last couple of days and my plan of what to do.

"I don't know whether I should be frightened or proud of you for thinking up something like that" My father laughed into the phone causing a smile to make its way onto my face

Looking at the alarm clock next to my bed my eyes widened, "I'll give you a call tonight or tomorrow and let you know how everything went, but I gotta' go. Classes start soon and I better bet my booty into gear and get there or another teacher might develop another grudge against me for being late... I love you Dad!" We exchanged goodbyes and I hung up the phone, jumping off of the bed I ran towards the front door pausing to give Zeus a kiss on the tops of the head.

"I'll see you later boy, be good for me" He nodded his head is agreement and jumped onto the crouch collapsing into a heap, sure the dog had loads of energy but he also could sleep like nobody's business

Grabbing my things I slipped on my leather jacket before continuing my journey to the front door I let out a sigh, I was going to have to keep myself busy today to stop my thoughts straying. Opening my front door I stepped out just as the front door of the apartment across from me opened. Out stepped a man; he looked like he was in his late 20's with a kind of 'nerdy vibe'. We made eye contact and he froze, awkwardly breaking eye contact I closed and locked the door behind me. I made a break for the staircase without looking back. Running a hand through my hair as I reached the lobby to quickly exited the lobby and headed towards my bike. Sitting down on my beloved Harley Davidson I let out a little laugh. Last year I was walking home high school because my bike was in the shop and I thought I saw my Uncle, I jumped on the mans back only to realize that it was actually my neighbor, once I got off his back I apologized and started to walk back to my apartment - to cut a long story short, the guy thought I was following him but then we realized we were neighbors and since then things have been, well... Awkward between us. But I still remember the expression on his face when I jumped on his back - priceless...

Putting on my helmet I started the bike and headed in the direction of the College grounds.

***

Thankfully I only had a morning lecture but I wanted to pay a visit to a certain teacher of mine. Entering the halls of the college I ignored the looks towards my bright hair and walked in the direction of the classroom that I knew Mr Mason would be in, the classes hadn't started yet so it was the perfect opportunity to give him my gift.

Arriving at the door I knocked politely and entered, Mr Mason's head snapped up and frowned when he saw me.

"Max Sterling... What do you want?" He asked bluntly looking bored

Biting back a smart remark I forced an innocent smile onto my face, "I'm sorry for interrupting you, but I wanted to apologize for my behavior earlier this week" I spoke clearly approaching his desk, plastering a remorseful look onto my face I watched his face twist into a suspicious glare.

After coming to a stop in front of his desk I placed my bag gently on the table and pulled out a Chinese take away noodle box and placed it in front of him. He shot me a confused glance before reaching out and taking the box in his hands, pulling open the flaps he looked up from the contents of the box back to me.

"You bought me a cupcake?" He asked flatly

I shook my head at the memories of adding all the ingredients last night when making them, smiling slightly I shook my head again.

"I made it, last night I couldn't sleep so I decided to do some baking. But I ended up making way to many so I thought what better way to apologize than with food" I grinned innocently at him

His face contorted into a disgusted scowl, "You're trying to bribe me with food" He stated, this comment snapped me resolve and I let out a lough sigh

"Look; I get turning up to class late is disrespectful and I apologized for that already. But come on, it's been days since then and plenty of students have come in late and you don't even spare them a second glance" I growled out angrily

Grabbing my bag from the table I walked towards the door, realizing that my class was about to start I looked over my shoulder at the teacher that seemed to have a constant frown or scowl on his face - I wasn't the only person that noticed either, something was off about this guy...

Mumbling for him to keep the cupcake as a 'peace offering' I closed the door behind me turning to go to my class when I collided with someone, smacking the side of my forehead with their chin. I should really look where I walk this is the second time this week with colliding someone...

Taking a step back slightly a wave of dizziness washed over me and I grabbed my forehead letting out a hiss of pain, "Oww..." the dizziness washed over my head as I wobbled on my feet as I felt them slip out beneath me.

Before I hit the ground a pair of strong arms wrapped around my and pulled me back up to a standing position, "Woah, are you okay?" The person - a guy asked me worriedly

Looking up I smiled weakly into a pair of familiar warm brown eyes, I let out a shaky laugh, "Has anyone ever told you that you've got a hard jaw?" I teased remember when I ran into this guy earlier this week

A playful grin spread across his face and chuckled, "Says the girl with a head as hard as concrete"

Noticing that his arms were still around me I felt a slight blush creep up my cheeks - wait I was blushing?!

I blinked a couple of times taking in deep breaths before the fogginess that clouded my head left leaving a slight ache on my left temple.

"Damn, sorry this is the second time that I've ran into you..." I trailed off running a hand through my hair sheepishly

The guy chuckled, "Just can't keep yourself away from me aye?" he teased

Rolling my eyes I laughed before a confused and curious look came over his face, "Actually how come you're here? Mason isn't teaching this morning..."

I felt a smug smirk spread across my lips, "Oh, I was just dropping off a peace offering..." I trailed off mysteriously

He smiled and nodded seeming to take that answer when I realized that we'd been walking. Looking up we were out the front of a classroom - my classroom to be exact.

"Hey, how'd you know this was my classroom?" I asked confused glancing at the guy

He chuckled, "Uh, we have this class together..."

My mouth made an 'O' shape and I laughed lightly, "My bad"

Huh... I don't even know this guys name, but I kinda like him...

The guy let out another chuckle and smiled warmly at me, "It's Regan... Regan Daniels"

I froze and turned to him, "I said that out loud didn't I...?"

He nodded causing me to laugh, "Well it's nice to officially meet you Regan" I grinned at him with him mirroring my facial expression

Together we snuck into the back of the classroom hiding our silent giggles. The rest of the lecture was a mix between actually paying attention and the two of us cracking jokes and trying not to laugh out loud.

Finally the class finished and the students poured into the hallways, Regan and I were laughing together when a loud voice called through the loud chatter filling the walkway.

"MAX STERLING!" I turned ignoring everyone's shocked gazes and gave Mr Mason a blank look which seemed to enrage him even more, his face turned a darker shade of red as he stomped towards me with the Chinese noodle box in his hand

I laugh escaped my throat at his expression and Regan turned giving me a 'what the heck is going on' look and I grinned, "You remember that 'peace offering' I mentioned earlier?" I asked using my hands to quote 'peace offering', "I may or may not have put laxatives and blue crayon into the icing..."

Regan slapped a hand to his mouth to stop the laughter as Mr Mason charged towards us.

"Come on, quick! We better get out of here before he catches us with us!" I laughed grabbing Regan's hand and plunging into the swarmed hallways.

___________________________________________________________

Chapter 2!! Hope you're enjoying this so far...

The picture on the side is of what I imagined Reegan to look like.

Now about the picture, I do not own it. Therefore I do not take any credit for the image, all credit goes to the artist. Original image can be found at this link:

http://static.cinemarx.ro/poze/persoane-mari/2011/06/Douglas_Booth_1308743681.jpg

Thank you for reading!

Emma xoxo