Chapter 5 - Sharing is Caring

A/N: This chapter is a bit heavy and sad, sorry :(

Chapter 5 – Sharing is Caring 

All previous control over my raging heartbeat seemed to fly of the window as the older agent looked down at me with a blank look on his face, you could just tell by the way he held himself that he was a nice guy but as soon at the man in the photo was mentioned everyone in the room visibly stiffened.

“How?” The older guy asked – Regan had called him Mack

I could feel all the muscles tense as memories flashed through my mind, pushing them away I look Mack in the eye, “He’s the man that killed my mother” I replied my voice devoid of emotion at the mention of him

Mack and the other agent seemed taken aback by my answer, I could see the questions and confusion clouding their eyes but thankfully Mack addresses the younger agent. He was relatively young in his late 20’s with blonde hair and bright blue eyes that matched his tanned skin, unlike this agent Mack seemed to be slightly older than him with brown hair and dark blue eyes that you could almost mistake them for blank.

Running his hand through his hair he seemed to snap back from his thoughts and turned to the younger agent, “Samson, we’ll take Miss Sterling back to Central for further questioning. Please go and ready the car” With a slight nod of his head Samson disappeared out the front door

Sensing my mood Mack put the hand cuffs away and pulled me from the ground, offering a weak smile he lead me to the front door where Regan was still standing. He was silent watching me intently, with my gaze on the fall I froze mid step. Mack almost bumped into me from behind catching himself at the last moment, casting me a questioning look I ignored him and walked back over to where Zeus was laying on the floor. It was as if he could tell that the mood was tense so he offered a reassuring nuzzle into my hand as I petted him. No doubt that Zeus was a smart dog, because frankly sometimes I forget he was actually a dog – he seemed to always know when I was upset of frustrated and comforted me, I guess it’s true when they say dogs are mans best friends.

Murmuring quietly to him to be good while I was gone I stood again and walked back over too Regan and Mack. In silence they led me out of the building and into a waiting car, the black SUV almost made me laugh out loud – it was the stereotypical vehicle of a secret agent to drive. The three of us slipped into the car with Mack riding shot gun and Samson driving, Regan’s shoulder brushed mine and I could tell he was dying to question me about what I’d said back in the apartment. The drive took about 10 minutes of awkward deafening silence and we all seemed to be relived when the car came to a stop in front of an office looking building.

Gesturing with his hands Mack lead us into the building past the reception desk, the lady sitting behind it did a double take as I walked past with her gaze focused on my bright hair. I ignored her and continued to follow the others to stop in front of an elevator. Once we were inside Mack broke the silence, his voice cracking slightly on the first word from disuse, “Please refrain from wondering while in the building – not that you’ll be alone, just don’t wonder off…”

I nodded mutely as the elevator dinged signally that we’d reached out destination. The level was split into sections, a part was dedicated to desks and another to boards with papers and photos spread out with writing scattered in the spaces.

Doors lined one side of the walkway blocking out the chatter from the working areas with glass walls and doors, something in one of the rooms caught my interest. There were people grouped around a white board that had an equation written out in neat handwriting, they seemed to be discussing the problem on the board with frustrated expressions. My gaze was cut off when we passed the room completely and we came to stop in front of a wooden door. Mack opened the door and gestured for me to enter.