Chapter 3 - I'm Not Like Most Girls

Chapter 3 – I’m Not Like Most Girls

Together Regan and I burst through the front doors of the college and headed towards the parking lot. Walking up to my bike I let a smile cross my face as Regan examined the beautiful machine, “This is yours?” He asked in awe

Grinning I nodded, “Yep sure is, it’s fast too so we can make a quick getaway” I stated patting down my pockets trying to find the keys, feeling empty pockets I suddenly remembered that I threw the keys into my bag this morning when I was walking into the college.

Digging around my backpack I came up empty, “Oh fudge. The keys must’ve fallen out this morning when I dropped off the cupcake…” I mumbled to myself, Regan seemed to hear me and he looked up from the bike.

I frowned, “Just wait here for a sec, Mr Mason should still be out looking for me so I’ll just sneak into his room and find the keys” He opened his mouth to protest but he was cut off by his phone ringing, smiling I winked at Regan before turning around and running back into the college building.

Arriving in front of the classroom I peaked through the door, it was cracked open slightly and I could hear the his grouchy voice talking to someone on the phone, cursing under my breath I racked my brain for a way to find the keys without getting caught by the teacher.

A shine of silver caught my eye; the keys must’ve fallen out of my bag this morning and were now sitting under a desk in the first row of desks. Looking through my bag helplessly I spotted my head phones – if I couldn’t sneak past him, why not just ignore him?

I’d turned my iPhone off when I arrived this morning, it was still off but I plugged the headphones in. Slipping them into my ears I started to bob my head along to imaginary music and walked through the door looking around for the keys. Mr Mason had his phone sitting on the desk on speakerphone while he worked on a complicated formula written across the board, it was one that I’d never seen before.

Realizing my presence in the room he froze mid sentence and I snapped my head to the ground looking for the keys and continued to bob my head trying to keep up the act.

“Miss Sterling, what are you doing in here?” He asked furiously suddenly forgetting he was on the phone, I ignore him and made my way over to where I’d seen the keys.

“Sterling? Who’s Sterling?” An angry sounding voice travelled from the phone, ignoring him again I continued to bob my head along to the silent music

“No one, just some annoying student. Continue with what you were saying, she’s blasting music through her headphones and doesn’t even realize I’m in the room let alone on the phone…”

The man on the phone seemed to pause before continuing, “Whatever Mason, just continue to work on the new formula. I expect it to be finished by tomorrow; you’re already late on delivery, this was supposed to be finished. This new product is going to change the world and guarantee me a place among the top. The address for the drop of all your information is at the abandoned train yard Twenty Second Street, okay? Be there at three in the afternoon ready to swap, the goods for the money and expect a sample” The line suddenly went dead and I picked up the keys

By the sound of this guy on the phone I really didn’t want to know what they were talking about. Standing up and brushing off my knees I walked back to the door and exited without glancing back towards the board and Mr Mason, by the sound of that phone call I didn’t want to give him idea’s that I’d actually heard anything.

I walked calmly out of the building and back towards the parking lot to meet up with Regan, he was leaning against the vehicle when I arrived glancing around the area.