Chapter 4 - Blown Cover

Chapter 4 – Blown Cover

Regan’s P.O.V

“I’m not like most girls…” She smiled slightly before turning around

I watched her in amazement as she cast a glance at the David guy and gunned the bike to go forward, gripping onto her waist to stop me from falling off. Looking around me the surrounds blurred past us as me sped down the road.

Something about this girl interested me, I wasn’t sure what caught my eye about but she was certainly not like most girls. Most followed a crowd, tried their best to stay up with new trends and were afraid of how others saw them – but Max, she was different.

I watched her silently as we rode through the streets; no doubt the girl was beautiful. Her skin was flawless aside from the few freckles that dusted the bridge of her nose and her eyes, they were the most beautiful blue I’ve ever seen not mention they matched her hair. The first day when we met and she ran into me I thought she was just like everyone else but then she opened her mouth and told me that story apart her and her brother and something inside me changed – since then when I should’ve been paying attention to other things my thoughts would always somehow wander to her… When we crashed into each other the second time I was thankful that I had an excuse to talk to her, and admittedly I did see her (the blue hair was kind of hard to miss), but when she spun around he ended up colliding heads again.

Smiling at the memory I didn’t notice us slowing down, shaking my head to clear my thoughts I noticed we were at a park. Max pulled over and shut off the bike. She stepped off the bike and placed the keys in her pocket and helped me off the bike, watching her curiously, she ran a hand through her wavy hair.

“I figured that I kind of owe you an explanation of what just happened…” Max trailed off ringing her hands in front of her

Nodding I led her to a bench and we sat down together, her thigh brushed past my leg and my heartbeat sped up. Looking towards the pond on the other side of the park a distant look crossed Max’s face as if she was sorting through the memories.

“It all started back in high school. Sophomore year I tried out for cheerleading, I was tiny and I’d just quit gymnastics so the team thought I’d be perfect to do stunts and stuff like that. I figured cheerleading would keep me busy so I agreed and got a place on the team, everyone was nice so I stayed with it then I suddenly became popular. I started dating and that’s where David comes in, he was the playboy of the school and I was so happy that he actually noticed me. But then during junior year everything turned for the worst. My mum and I were messing around one day and I found her bucket list from when she was young.” Max paused for a moment, a sad smiled crossed her face before she continued, “One of the thing’s on the list was to dye her hair a crazy colour. I asked her if she ever did it but she said no, so I tried to convince her to do it then” She let out a shaky laugh, “But she couldn’t do it because of her job, she was a paramedic and having crazy coloured hair was against the dress code. Being the weird person I am I decided that I would do it. On the way back from the hairdressers that day a car collided with ours and my mum-” her voice broke slightly, clearing her throat she continued on pushing a strong tone into her voice, “My mother didn’t make it. The next week I went back to school trying to act as if everything was okay, I knew my mum wouldn’t have wanted me to mope around for weeks… Anyways, I walked up to my friends and asked them how they were and if I’d missed anything important. They took one look at the blue hair and just flat out ignored me”

She turned to face me now with a guarded expression, “The people I’d spent so much time with, laughing with, joking with, making memories with just dropped me. I was heart broken, my mother had just died and no one wanted to talk to me – they were afraid that I’d blow up on them. So I confronted them one day, in the cafeteria in front of half the school”