Part 13

*warning, the following chapter may contain scenes that some readers may find disturbing.*

When I awoke I wished I hadn't. I had experienced a lot of different types of pain in my life, but it was nothing compared to the way I currently felt.

I was fixed to some kind of operating table, in what I could only assume was the lab downstairs. Thick silver coated bands wrapped my arms, legs and torso to prevent any movement. There was an IV in my arm, very slowly dripping that silvery substance into my system. It burned like before. I had believed that nothing could hurt more than that, I was wrong. The burning now seemed unimportant, compared to what the doctor was doing to the rest of me.

She paused in her work, looking at me face with faint surprise, "Oh, you are awake. That is... unexpected, but not a problem."

She looked back at what she was holding, something red and dripping. My kidney. If I thought it would have done any good to scream, I would have. Ignoring my she spoke into a small Dictaphone. "Observation. The subject has regained consciousness on the operating table, demonstrating unexpected strength. She appears be lucid, despite being on the silver drip, and having six organs removed and replaced so far, including the heart." My mind could not even comprehend the amount of horror I was feeling. She paused, "Speculation, it seems that this lends evidence to debunk certain myths revolving around the heart of a vampire. Surely causing injury to the heart would not lead to its destruction, if complete removal does not have a similar effect. This will be further investigated later."

I groaned, already past agony. "What... is wrong with you?"

She smiled at me but her eyes remained cold, unfeeling. "Subject is able to speak at present time." She noted. "The real question is what is wrong with you?" she added almost to herself.

She began cutting something else with her scalpel and I finally lost it, a scream tearing out of me.

*

Jamie POV

I paced up and down the small confines of my cell angrily. There had to be something I could do to get us out of this situation. I was not content to simply wait around and hope someone would come for us. Even if they did, how would they get us out of a place like this?

My mind frequently returned to Jade. I had no idea what was happening outside of the room I was in, nobody had spoken to me since the doctor had come to take my blood. I couldn't bear not knowing if she was ok. A tentative idea had been forming in my mind, although I had no clue whether it would work.

I remembered the events from when we had first met; she had reached out to me with her mind. Although at the time I was horrified and disgusted, I had later learned that she had done it for my own protection, and that she was just as uncomfortable with it as I was. We hadn't ever spoken about the subject since; it had been an unpleasant experience for both of us. The lack of privacy was unnerving. However, I was beginning to think that now it might be useful.

The problem was, I had no idea how to initiate such contact. I had seen Jade in action; I knew she was comfortable with extending her mind. She often did it to get out of tricky situations. She had touched me with her fingers when we had done it before, but I didn't think that was completely necessary. Although, I had never seen her do it whilst physically separated from someone. Surely, I reasoned it could work, especially now that we were so much closer emotionally.

I sat down on the thing they called a bed and leaned against the wall, closing my eyes. I had tried a few times already, but had not had any success so far. Casting my mind back, I tried to remember how it had felt that first time, how she had felt. It was difficult since I had been convinced I was about to die at the time, so I hadn't really been thinking about the specifics of the process. Imagining my mind not in my head was a difficult thing. I tried to guess where they had taken her, I had seen them going towards a lift and it seemed likely they would have went down to somewhere more secure. I tried to think downwards, concentrating hard on Jade.

Suddenly, I experienced something I had not before. A sudden flash of colour and light, red and silver. With it came pain, overwhelming pain. I gasped and my eyes flew open in shock. That had to have been her. I had to try again. Closing my eyes I repeated the process, now kind of having an idea of what to look for. Without warning the image came into focus somewhere. I was on a table, the woman who had taken my blood was there, doing- oh god. No. My very self flinched away from what was happening; there was more pain than I had ever felt in my life. Blood was everywhere; the silver was burning me, no not me. Jade I realised, I was seeing what was happening to her. I almost let go, unable to take it anymore, when I heard her voice.

"Jamie? Jamie!" she cried both out loud and in her head. Oh god, she was conscious, she knew what was happening.

I heard the voice of the doctor in the background. "Subject may be hallucinating."

"Jade!" I said mentally, trying not to let my agony at her situation show through.

"How?" she whispered, just in her head now. I sensed her trying to separate the pain and block it in another part of her mind, trying to shield me. "Did I go insane?" she thought.

"No you didn't!" I reassured her, "I've been trying to reach you, like before at your house." I showed her my memory of the event so she understood.

"Impossible..." I felt her doubts, but also underlying was the overwhelming love and confidence she felt for me. I realised suddenly how different her mind really was to mine, and to any humans for that matter. There were so many things happening simultaneously, it was hard to comprehend. I doubted I would be able to experience anything other than pain in her situation. Not that I would still be alive in that situation, I couldn't imagine anyone living through what was happening to her. I tried mentally to pull her towards my mind, away from her body, trying to put some kind of barrier between her consciousness and the physical agony.

I heard the doctor speak again, making some kind of voice recording. "Full autopsy has been completed, aside from the brain area. Everything has been replaced exactly. Remarkably, most injuries are already healing. I have attempted dissolvable stitches in some areas to aid the process; however they are dissolving far more rapidly than they should. The body appears to instantly destroy or remove any foreign substances."

Through Jade's awareness, I felt the doctor's presence move away to the other side of the room. Suddenly, there was the sound of a door opening, and an unknown human walked in. I could tell instantly he was human, I could feel Jades sudden desire for his blood. She already really wanted the doctors too. The new person gasped in horror at the scene.

"O'Connor!" The doctor snapped, "Where have you been! I requested your presence two hours ago!"

"I am sorry Dr White, there was an emergency and all the people outside-"

She cut him off, "Whatever, I don't need excuses. You can still assist me with the next lot of tests. Go and prepare yourself."

Jade chose that moment to slowly turn her head to look at the new arrival. She was momentarily blinded by the bright lights above her before I saw a small, round faced guy with curly hair. He froze, staring in horror. "It's still alive?"

"Of course." Dr white retorted, "I'm not done yet. I need to know everything."

He was still in shock, "How on earth, the blood! How much has she lost?"

"Most of it I think."

Jade lost it for a minute at the word blood, hissing and snapping her teeth towards the boy. He stumbled backwards. I pulled her mentally closer, trying to help as much as I could. I knew it was not her fault; she was more ravenous than she had ever been, even as a newly turned vampire.

The doctor returned with an enormous syringe, the liquid inside was red. She stuck it into Jades arm and pushed the plunger down. Jade was past feeling the pain of the needle, but I felt the warm relief as fresh blood entered her system, almost instantly increasing her energy level. The relief was short lived however, with the renewed energy seemed to come the renewed ability to feel pain. Everything that was torn and broken inside of her used the boost the begin knitting back together at an increased speed, further increasing the torment. Her body arched against the restraints as she screamed.