Part 24

Sarah left shortly after Beatrice's story. It was getting late and she wanted to get home. I still couldn't quite comprehend the fact that we were related, however distantly. I had spent centuries without a family and suddenly I had my sister back and numerous decedents. It was a little dizzying.

I created a mental picture of Beatrice, Sarah and myself side by side. Although Beatrice and I were very close to identical aside from our colouring, Sarah was completely different. It made sense as Beatrice's genes would be extremely diluted by the time they reached Sarah's generation. Nonetheless, it would have been nice to see some similarity; it would back up her story if nothing else.

At a stretch, the two of them were both tall and blonde, and there was perhaps a little similarity in the shape of their eyes. But where both mine and Beatrice's noses were thin and straight, Sarah's was short and perky. Her face was a little rounder and her cheekbones were less prominent. Whilst Beatrice was pale and striking, Sarah was tanned and more conventionally pretty.

Whilst I was excited at the prospect of getting to know more of my family, there was something about Sarah that didn't quite sit right with me. I couldn't place it as she seemed perfectly nice and had been open and honest with us, as far as I could tell. Still, although I would make efforts to get to know her better, I would keep an eye on her. I didn't voice my thoughts to Beatrice or Jamie. She seemed lost in thought, whilst he seemed to be happy enough with the situation.

Standing up, I stretched my arms out with a sigh. I was feeling a lot better than I had in the morning, making me thing that my healing was making good progress. Turning my thoughts to David I bit my lip. It was going to be tricky to manage him, but I didn't want to give up on him yet. Underneath all the layers of anger and pain, I knew my friend still existed somewhere.

"Where can we take David?" I asked the other two. "We can't keep him here, not after all of this."

Beatrice considered for a moment, "I have somewhere. A property about forty five minutes from here. I haven't been to it for a while, but I kept it in case I needed somewhere to go quickly."

"Does anyone know about it?" I asked, still feeling unsafe despite the fact we had been released.

She shook her head, "No I don't think so, and it's in the middle of the countryside. No neighbours for miles."

"That would be perfect," I said, the further we could get him from temptation, the better.

"Hey!" We heard Felix shout from outside the tent, "He's coming round!"

I planted a quick kiss on Jamie's cheek before leaving him in the tent. Beatrice reached the trailer ahead of me and cautiously opened the door.

I heard a low groan come from David who was on the floor in the middle of the room, held by Chris and Felix. Stepping in behind Beatrice I carefully shut the door, not wanting a repeat of before. David's eyes flicked open and we all held our breath, waiting for the ensuing rage. Surprisingly there was only silence.

Turning his head, his gaze landed on Beatrice and his faced creased in confusion. I was relieved to see his eyes were their original green colour.

"Jade?"

I stepped forwards, "I'm here." His gaze flicked to me. I realised he had never seen Beatrice before when he was in a lucid state. "Can you tell me your name?" I asked calmly, wanting to assess his mental capacity.

He frowned, looking more confused. "David."

"That's good," I said encouragingly, "What is the capital city of this country?"

"London."

"What is your mother's name?"

"Sue, Jade what the heck is going on? You're scaring me here." He stared at me, looking for answers.

A small laugh escaped my throat in relief. He seemed very much himself.

"I think he's ok." Beatrice said quietly. David focused on her.

"Who are you?" He asked.

"My name is Beatrice," She told him "Jade is my sister."

"What? Jade I didn't know you had a sister." He looked at me a little reproachfully.

"Neither did I until recently, it's a long story." I said. The fact that I had a sister was fairly insignificant in comparison to all of the events that had happened since. "It's all a long story."