Part 17

Jamie POV

It had been roughly six days since Jade had woken up again. At first I had been unable to feel anything but relief that she was alive. I had been terrified that I had somehow lost her when I had been unable to contact her for so long. Now I was almost as terrified. She was still alive, but I don't know if she knew.

It had started slowly, odd flares in temper, then I'd catch her thinking about blood more and more. Suddenly it was all at once, everything was just impressions now, bright and silver and pain. Everything was red and burning. It was worse if anyone even went near the cell, like the guards patrolling outside. Then there was just bloodlust, overtaking everything. It was so consuming I almost wanted to jump those guards myself. It hurt trying to be in her mind but I kept trying, trying to draw her back to sanity somehow. I knew it was useless, there was only one thing that she really needed and she was not getting it.

It was even worse because she had known what was happening. She had watched David succumb to it first and she knew with terrifying certainty that she would be next. It was the part that she hated most about herself, the part that she felt most guilty about. She hated to feel like a monster and that is what she was becoming.

I could do nothing. I was trapped in this tiny cell, pacing up and down hour after hour. I was sure I would wear a trail right through the floor eventually. I spared a thought for David. We had never gotten on particularly well but I felt bad that he was suffering too. Being much younger he was probably even worse. I was distracted from my thoughts by noises along the corridor. It didn't feel like time for them to bring me food yet, what was going on?

An irritated, authoritative voice rose over the angry and confused voice of the guard outside my door. "Get out of my way this instant if you would like to avoid another lawsuit!"

Many footsteps were moving towards my door, I stepped back a little, preparing for whatever was going to happen. I knew the monstrosities these people were capable of.

"Unlock the door immediately; this man is a free citizen." The same voice snapped.

"Sir?" the guard questioned.

"Do as he says." Another voice, the agent who questioned me. "The prisoners are being released."

This had to be some kind of joke I thought. Some sort of preparation for some new torture. I glared cautiously as the door opened.

A smiling man stepped into my cell and held out his hand. "Greyson Smith, at your service. I am the attorney for your case." Greyson Smith did not match his name. He wore a flamboyant dark purple suit with a black patterned tie. His teeth were very white as he grinned at me in delight. I slowly shook his hand, unable to process what was happening.

"What is going on?" I asked him.

"We have manged to get an order to release 3 prisoners. You, Jadeine Montgomery and David Dickens."

I couldn't quite believe it was true, but I didn't want to look a gift horse in the mouth. "That's great, let's go." I said.

He blinked, perhaps surprised at my quick agreement, but did not show any other sign of emotion. As we stepped into the corridor I realised that behind him there were two people carrying video cameras and someone I recognised.

"Beatrice!" I said, ridiculously relieved to see a familiar face. She wore a long blue coat. Her light hair was up in a formal looking bun making her features look even more severe.

She took a moment to smile at me before turning serious, "Where are the others?"

"Downstairs." One of the officials answered her.