Part 6

Part 6

Three days later I stood in front of Cassandra Robinsons house with my sister, Jamie and Felix in tow. I wore an immaculate pastel pink suit jacket with matching pencil skirt and heels. A cream scarf was wound elegantly around my neck and my hair was put neatly up.

Harry had insisted that we stay at his place whilst we planned the operation. I was reluctant to trust him to that extent, but since it saved us trying to find a better place I had agreed. Jamie had recovered a great deal in the short space of time, to the point that even I was a little surprised.

We had spent much of the time stalking Cassandra. I didn’t want any surprises so I wanted to know as much about her routine as possible. We had gotten lucky the day before, as by chance Beatrice had heard her mention to her co-worker that it was her day off tomorrow. I had decided it was time to act.

That night I had gone out and stolen appropriate attire for us all. It was important that none of the neighbours noticed anything unusual in case the authorities were alerted. No one would look twice at a group of higher class smartly dressed individuals being welcomed into the house. The houses were spaced far enough apart that it would be difficult for anyone to get a close look at us.

Jamie looked extremely good in a suit. I was trying not to distract myself by noticing, but it was true. I should definitely find a way to get him into one more often. But back to business; pressing the doorbell I waited in anticipation.

The door was answered by the housekeeper. Wasting no time I quickly caught her gaze;

“Smile and let us in.” I hissed. Mindlessly obeying my implanted command, a big if slightly empty smile spread across the small women’s face as she stepped back and pulled the door wide. I was a little sorry for using her in in such a way but I was reluctant to leave anything to doubt.

“Nicole? Who was at the door?” the voice of Cassandra Robinson echoed down the stairs.

The housekeeper, Nicole, looked confused. “I… don’t…”

Looking into her eyes I said “it was just a salesman.”

“It was just a salesman!” she called, echoing me.

“Now you want to go and clean the lounge,” I instructed, “Ignore us, we are not important. We belong here.” Wordlessly she turned and headed into the other room, already forgetting our presence.

Signalling to the others that they should wait a moment before following me, I made my way soundlessly up the staircase. Using my keen sense of hearing I located the room the woman was occupying. She sat at a desk facing away from the door, writing a note on a sheet of paper. Her laptop sat open next to her. It was clear that she wasn’t planning on heading out soon, since her hair was down and a little messy. She wore expensive but comfortable looking jeans and an old shirt. I knew she wouldn’t be seen dead like that in public. Besides, we already knew she didn’t have work that day.

Before she was aware of what was happening I was behind her with one hand around her throat and another over her mouth.

“Hello Cassandra.” I whispered into her ear, “or can I call you Cassie? Do your friends call you Cassie?” She let out a wordless shout which was muffled by my hand. “Now,” I said, tightening my grip a little. “There are some things I want you to do for me.”

I was surprised at the hatred I felt for this women who I had never met. She had been a prominent face in the media the past few days, and everything she had to say about my kind had been negative. She had done nothing but stir the fear and anger until almost everyone it seemed wanted us dead.