Part 15

Jamie POV

My efforts before had exhausted me. I hadn't realised how much until I had let go and the urge to sleep had almost overwhelmed me. I mulled over what I had learned. What they were doing to her was deeply disturbing. I wasn't sure how much more she could take, or if she would still be the same once it was over.

I had spent the majority of my life surrounded my trained killers and I had never experienced the level of inhumane cruelty shown by that doctor. It was evil; there was no other way to describe it. I felt sick. I was so powerless, trapped here in this cell, unable to help her.

I drifted into an uneasy sleep for a time, before being startled awake by someone shoving some food through a small slot in the door. The tray and cutlery were cheap plastic and I wasn't completely sure what the food was supposed to be. Some kind of loaf thing with some vegetables that had probably seen better days. Regardless, I wolfed it down, suddenly ravenous. It had been a while since I'd last eaten. I wasn't sure how long; there was no way to tell the time. The lights always stayed relentlessly on, as if these people were more afraid of what lurked on the dark than they cared to admit.

Once I'd eaten I felt marginally better. Walking to the door of my cell, I pressed my face to the small window. I could see the side profile of a guard standing to the right, almost out of view. The rest of the corridor was silent and empty. I wondered what was behind the other doors that broke the wall at regular intervals.

"Hey, could you tell me what the time is?" I called to the guard. He was silent. "Could you tell me what the time is?" I asked again, trying to see if I could get a response. Nothing. I tried a different approach. "This is illegal you know, I should get a lawyer, or at least a god damned phone call."

His head turned towards me just a fraction of an inch, revealing one dark eye. The colouring was wrong, but his expression reminded me of Sam when he was punishing someone who had done something stupid. "I am not permitted to talk to you. Please move away from the door." He turned away again.

I sighed, going to slump on the bed again. I doubted I would get much more out of him. It was stupid of me to miss Sam but I did. Although I had eventually realised how prejudiced and cruel he really was, he was still the man who had pretty much raised me. His loss was made worse by the flickers of guilt when I remembered how exactly he had died. It didn't matter how many times I told myself it wasn't my fault, I was still the one that pulled the trigger first. I put it out of my mind; it wouldn't help to dwell on it. He wouldn't have been impressed by the current situation at all. If he was the one locked in, he would most likely be shouting and threatening anything that moved. I knew that wouldn't get me anywhere though, they would probably just get satisfaction from watching me suffer.

A while later I heard footsteps in the corridor. There was a quiet conversation and my door was opened. I cautiously watched the three guards and they entered. The first one, a man almost as tall as me with sandy coloured hair, handed me a pair of handcuffs. "Put these on."

Seeing no other choice I obeyed. They took me from the room and back to the lift. We went back up one floor and along a similar corridor to an interrogation room. It was similar to the one they had first put me in. A simple table and chairs in the middle and what I could only assume was a two way mirror running down one side. I wondered who stood behind it. They made me sit at the table, fixing my handcuffs to a heavy chain.

A couple of minutes later two people entered. One of them was the agent who had first questioned me, the other was Dr White. My eyes narrowed in hatred, I don't think I had ever seriously wanted to kill a human before. Although, I thought the term human should probably be used loosely in her case. She examined my expression critically, and I realised she would not know that I knew what she had been doing.