The culture of Dressing Up for Dinner

article publieshed in May 2015

https://issuu.com/donahuemodels/docs/vol_3_iss_1/54

The Culture of Dressing Up for Dinner

By Cinzia Antonelli

The choice of eveningwear for dinner is a real culture that inspires and excites

our imagination so intensely, that we immediately begin to design the most original and dazzling outfit to show off for the occasion.

Today, fashion is a kind of redefinition of the traditions of the past, which has been somewhat sanitized through customs that were sometimes rigid in accordance with the rules of a strict dress code for the evening. However being in perfect harmony with our eveningwear is always a great test of our own personal style.

It doesn't matter whether we are attending a cocktail party, a gala, a business dinner or a simple evening with friends, knowing how to choose a dress to meet expectations is, for us, a source of great excitement, but with a dash of concern.

Going out in the evening is an occasion when we want to show our conviviality, but above all to show our stylish clothing. This is the time where we get to show the best of ourselves, in some sort of coded message that communicates through our choice, evidenced in the clothes we're wearing.

When choosing how to dress, in this particular context, it is not always an easy task. Often we consult numerous fashion magazines, which have

become indispensable and a valuable support with their many styling tips.

But beyond the fashions of the moment, the basic rule for all of us, is to dress in a manner appropriate to the place and context in which we find ourselves, so as not to arouse embarrassing looks if, for example, we choose to wear clothes too extravagant and flashy.

The basic rule for a compelling choice, in terms of style and elegance, is always simplicity. We Italians often say "appearances are deceptive," but the clothing comes to us, brings out our features and our way of living.

If we want to be clean, in our style, then we have to follow some of the basic rules of good taste, or as they say in Italian "Bon Ton." For example, a man is not considered elegant when he displays excesses in his style. Simply choose the right attire, a matching pair of socks and no unnecessary jewelry, out side of the essentials like a wristwatch, wedding ring and cufflinks.

For the women, the rule is to enhance the shape of our body, without wearing anything vulgar, or overly sexy. Forget the terrible leggings and avoid an

|

embarrassing evening. Choose instead, to pay tribute to your feminine touch with elegance and sobriety.

Definitely, with great foresight, you preserve your choice of accessories, such as your bag, and that will surely be a jeweled clutch. The shoes will be high, to slim the figure, and make you feel like the true queen of the evening. If possible, you could match the color of the shoe to the dress.

For the icing on the cake, the jewels, showy and glittering, large necklaces in pearls, diamonds and colored gemstones, are combined with bracelets and earrings.

Every year, even for this spring-summer season of 2015, all the best designers have made their masterpieces for the catwalks, from which we can draw inspiration. All styles are current, replicated in the updated version, with innovative cutting-edge pieces.

For women, the new maxi jacket, presented by LANVIN Paris is a must, and can be worn as a mini coat on warm summer evenings.

The maxi dress by Roberto Cavalli, is meant for women of spirit. While the dress by Marc Jacobs, is most appropriate. Even on display on the runway for the season, are the square shapes of Max Mara and Versace. Sometimes the rules are broken, and for the lovers of leather, like me, with the black jacket, there is a cleaned-up version that is stylish to wear in the evening by Diesel Back Gold.