ITALY'S FAVOURITE SPORTS

Article published in September 2015

https://issuu.com/donahuemodels/docs/vol_3_iss_5_-_sep_2015/56

A WINK FROM...Italy

Italy's Favorite Sports

By Cinzia Antonelli

In addition to having a long and fascinating history, Italy carries a long tradition in sports, boasting a vast number of successes. Since the time of the ancient Romans, horse races were held within circus venues utilizing the "Chariot," a vehicle drawn on two wheels, often carrying two standing persons. Huge amphitheaters often drew large crowds to observe fights between gladiators.

During the Middle ages, knights characterized their armor by carving symbols of their families, which served as a proud reminder of who they were fighting for. That form of symbolism is very similar to today's society in that we are all very representative of our differing cultures.

Occurring since the 6th century, the city of Siena is home to the historic Palio horse race event, during which participants competed with their own horses. Even today, every year in August, this evocative event continues to take place. This event attracts many tourists, with an excitement towards the medieval atmosphere.

At the end of the 700s, physical activity was introduced in all Italian schools. Sports were incorporated under the ideals that they were general contributors towards the psychophysical health of individuals.

"Cycling with the Cycling Federation" was the first Italian sports organization in 1885. Many bicycle enthusiasts joined and in 1909 it played the Tour of Italy, the first official competitive sport. It ran well, growing from a level of amateur to professional sports, in which bikers raced competitively, for medals of recognition. Later in 1910, the National Italian Soccer team was founded. Players wore blue shirts in honor of the flag of the Royal Savoy, which reigned in Italy at the time. Soccer, Italy's main sport was born as many clubs and teams became established.

For Italians, soccer is, without a doubt, the national sport, far more ever now. We identify and love out National soccer players with all our hearts, as if they were members of our own family. Since I was a little girl cheering for the Turin soccer club, the soccer team champions become legendary due to the tragic fate that had met them. One night in May 1949 at

Superga, the plane on which the soccer team was travelling home, crashed to the ground, leaving no survivors. We transformed the sport into a sense of belonging that we manifest in various ways, such as waving the Italian flag on our balconies during the World Cup. If Italy or our team wins, we celebrate all night long in the town streets.

Our national soccer team is among the most qualified in the world, having won four World Cups and many other medals in the Olympic Games and international competitions. The teams in our Italian league have won numerous international trophies, among the most notable is the Juventus soccer club, considered among the top ten European club teams.

The second most popular sport followed in our country is motoring, where we have great traditions in motor sports. In the F1 team, Ferrari holds the record of most titles for drivers and construction. Aside from the main Italian automotive brands such us Fiat, Alfa Romeo, Maserati, Ferrari and Lancia, that have won the biggest races and prestigious winning world titles, I'd like to briefly recall the most important drivers in our sporting history as A.Ascari, T.Nuvolari, M.Alboreto, R.Patrese, J.Trulli and G.Fisichella.

We're also just as passionate about the motorcycle, with great motor champions of the past, worthily followed by those of the present, such as the mythical M.Biaggi, L.Capirossi and V.Rossi, who have led us to win several international awards.