CHRISTMAS, A Time for Gifts

Article published in December 2015

https://issuu.com/donahuemodels/docs/vol_3_iss_8_dec_2015/56

A WINK FROM...Italy

Christmas, A Time for Gifts

By Cinzia Antonelli

And Christmas is finally here, and with it the desire to buy gifts!

The art of the gift is that we practice what is deeply rooted and ancient, but in our society, with the increasingly rampant consumerism, this noble gesture has become a "rite of consumption."

Today, in our modern era often stands just the appearance of gift buying, without reiterating and highlighting the true meaning of giving, an act of true generosity and altruism, because exchanging gifts means to receive and give attention to each other. It could be called a real means of communication: if we're unable to express in words, a good feeling; with a simple gift coming straight from our heart, we can not fail to express our true feelings or what we really want to communicate to the other person.

Giving gifts is a way to get to know one another, a real moment of introspection, soul searching - trying to understand what they really want to communicate: a feeling of esteem, friendship, and love.

But it is also a detailed analysis of the person you want to make a present to, remembering or discovering their interests, the things they love, what you have in common and what will be better appreciated.

The scents, the magical atmosphere, with the desire to be together, remind us that Christmas is coming, and exchanging gifts is really an indispensable habit even when, for us adults, there is no longer the belief in the legend of Santa Claus.

During this time our cities are all decorated for the holiday, the streets are full of perfumes and magically illuminated, as we all anticipate December 25, along with our children, eager to see if Santa Claus, has brought us many gifts, under the Christmas tree.

Also this year, it goes without saying that the tech gifts are the ones that are on top of our wish list.

The object of worship that surely all of us would like to receive as a Christmas present, is the smartphone, including the best sellers here in Italy - the iPhone and Samsung Galaxy, both of which are now an integral part of our life.

Another object much desired is the smart watch, with functions similar to a smartphone for the wrist, just like a clothing accessory.

For those who love reading, technology is still very popular with such gifts as an eReader - a real digital book reader, giving the option to purchase thousands of books.

Of course, we cannot do without our beloved tablet; most notably the iPad, the GalaxyTab and the Kindle Fire, a cross between a laptop and a smartphone.

It's a great gift idea to start the New Year, leaving behind all the stress that we have accumulated! So we have to buy access to some spa or health club in their city, or give the gift of a nice trip in our beautiful Italy.

The variety of items to give is really rich: from a basket full of culinary delights for our neighboring homes, to a bag or clutch for our fashionable friend or beloved aunt.

Thinking of our dear fathers and beloved husbands, how about a nice sweater or a classy watch? Or, perhaps, a beautiful super puffy parka for our sons? And for that wise old friend, what could be more satisfactory than with a signed original print or painting, to hang in their study that smells of old books and ancient wisdom, like those of Ciociara, our artist painter Filomena Milos!