CHAPTER 2

Rory:

I didn't want to go home just yet, that hell hole could wait a bit longer. Instead I decided to ride through my favourite part of Obern Forest. Spring was the best time of the year in my opinion, it represented new life and managed to fill even the darkest parts of the forest with its vibrant colours.

The green leaves above me, a blanket covering the trees, and the new grass a delicate carpet of fine, silken strands. Small twigs crunched under my horse's hooves in a gratifying sound as we leisurely rode between the thick trunks and undergrowth.

The quietness soothed my tired mind as I began to near my favourite spot in the forest. Suddenly, a short, female-sounding scream came from somewhere to my right. I swivelled my head to try to better determine where the shout had come from and began to ride faster. I raced through the thinning trees until two figures on horseback, very close to one another, came into view.

I had never seen the man before but I would recognise that girl anywhere. He was grabbing her waist and kissing her ferociously, then I noticed her tiny fists attempting to push him off her and the tears running down her face. I felt a strange tug inside of me as I saw the tears cascading down her face. "Get your filthy hands off her!" I growled at the man.

My blood was boiling, I was disgusted by that man, whoever he was. He immediately released her and I watched as she instantaneously galloped off. I rode up to the man and with all my strength, punched him in the face.

What right had he to molest a woman in such a way? After I had calmed down, I approached him again as he nursed his bruised face, a small trickle of red beginning to ooze from his forehead. I felt like striking the man again but before I could lift my fist again, he spoke.

"And who are you boy?" His sneering voice was menacing and I felt my earlier boldness begin to leave me.

"I am the son of the Duke of Wortley and a..." Cecilia and I hated each other's guts but I could hardly say that, "A friend of that young woman, so I would be on my guard if I were you." I responded, feeling my courage return a bit as I told him who I was. A brief look of apprehension flashed through his eyes at my status then they returned to their original sharp leer.

"A friend of Cecilia's, is that so?" He questioned. He knew who she was? I had never seen or heard of the man before, how did he know her? A series of questions tumbled through my mind.

"How did you come by such an acquaintance with Cecilia?" I asked, shocked at the revelation.

"We were very close friends when we were younger," He said, a smile playing slowly on his lips. "I assisted her with," his face looked slightly pained, "you know..." He finished. What was he talking about, and if they were such 'close friends' why would he assault her in such a way?

"No, I don't know, you aided her how?" I asked feeling rather puzzled by everything that I had just learnt. One second the man was forcing himself upon her, and the next he was speaking fondly of her and their past. At my comment a large smile floated onto his face, replacing the earlier scowl.

"Oh you don't know?" His smile only increasing, "I would have thought she would have told you, I guess not." Now my curiosity had been roused, what did this man know about Cecilia that I did not? I was pretty sure that the rest of our friends didn't know her little secret either.

"What don't I know that Cecilia supposedly hasn't told me?" I pressed him, willing him to enclose her secret to me. He looked at me with a look that I nearly mistook for pity.