CHAPTER 16

Rory:

We said goodbye to our final guests just after eleven o'clock, it was evident that Cecilia was exhausted so I tried to hurry the departure of everyone after the last round of cards. 

The earl and his wife were the last to leave along with Mr Herald and as we bade our goodbyes I took the opportunity to slip my arm around Cecilia's waist. 

The poor girl looked like she could fall asleep at any second. I felt her body tense as I pulled her closer to me before her body slackened and she leant herself on me.

We waved after the final guests as they disappeared into the indigo amorphous mass of the night, only interrupted with a few dark silhouetted trees in the distance. 

Ellis closed the door on the retreating carriages, letting in a cold gust of wind as he did so. I felt Cecilia shiver next to me as small goose bumps flecked her pale skin.

I gripped my arm more tightly around her, pulling her into me to offer my body warmth. This time she gladly accepted the offer and leant her head against my chest. I felt my heart beat quicken at the innocent motion and I had to resist the urge to run my hands through her raven tresses.

As she lay her head against me I became aware of the distinct smell of lilies and cinnamon wafting towards me. I breathed in her intoxicating scent that set all my nerves alight and tingling. I had to stifle a laugh when I noticed her smelling me too.

I went rigid as I felt her small hand gently run across my chest until it was positioned over my pounding heart. How could such a harmless touch make me feel such things? 

The small area of her hand scolded me through the layers of my clothing with a burning desire that I had to battle to control my longing for her.

As if noticing what she was doing and our closeness she immediately withdrew her hand as if she were the one who had been burnt.

"I think we need to get you off to bed," I tried to speak with as much control as I could muster.

She nodded at me mutely before gracing me with an adorable, sleepy smile. I was almost glad when she pulled away from my grip for I did not know how much longer I could control myself. 

The want to pull her into my arms and kiss her senseless was increasing by the second but I knew I would come to regret it, for she did not feel the same way.

She marched off in the direction of the stairs before accidentally stumbling over the hem of her dress. "Bollocks," I chuckled as she cursed her ill-luck. I was by her side in a matter of seconds, my arm returning to around her waist to steady her.

"Easy there," I murmured whilst shaking my head at the girl. God she really was quite something else. What on earth would I do with her though? The girl was quite the foolhardy lamb.

"I am quite capable," she said brusquely as a scowl formed on her beautiful face.

"Right now you look as if you are going to fall asleep where you are stood, I hardly think your sleep walking skills are adept enough to get you from the bottom of the stairs to your chamber. Now then," I smiled whilst sweeping her, quite literally, off her feet. 

She let out a small shriek of surprise and irritation as she was lifted from the ground and carefully positioned in my arms. Her slender arms reached up and twisted around my neck to give her better support before the angry words began.

"Put me down this instance! How dare you manhandle me in such a way you scoundrel!" She cried in protest, to which I simply smiled. Ignoring her complaints and assault on my chest I continued my way up the staircase, a smile still stuck to my face.