CHAPTER 18

Rory:

"Hold still a moment, there's an insect in your hair," I looked cautiously down at Cecilia expecting a fit of hysterics like most ladies made at the thought of a creature on their person.

Instead of the pandemonium I expected however, Cecilia simply shrugged and said, "Okay," as if it were the most common of things and she couldn't give a fig about the insect. My eyes widened at her relaxed behaviour, had she not heard me? 

I had told her she had a creature in her hair and she hadn't batted an eyelid, she had shrugged. She was definitely something special, a wild card if ever there was one, and to think I had looked down my nose at her and scorned her at every moment. 

For once in my life I was grateful to my father for giving me something worth having and cherishing.

Cecilia leaned her head forward to me to offer easier access to her hair, her hair, yes, I was going to remove the insect from it. I cursed my wretchedly distracting thoughts. 

Moving myself closer to her I reached across and brushed the insect out of her tangled ebony tresses. I couldn't however bring myself to remove my hand from her hair and looking down at her I was overwhelmed with the burning desire to kiss her.

"Forgive me Cecilia," I managed to whisper before I captured her lips with mine. Almost immediately her lips began to move in synchronisation with mine as I felt her lean in closer to me. 

My heart rocketed through my chest at the wondrous sensation of her returning the kiss, she must feel it too, she must.

I felt her small hands reach up and entwine behind my neck pulling me down to her leaving a trail of fire on my skin as her fingers ran up my neck. In an attempt to bring her closer to me (not an easy task on two horses), I placed my hands on her small waist, urging her closer and allowing my selfish self more contact with her.

Suddenly I felt her two hands fall from my neck and push on my chest as she broke the kiss. I looked down at her and noticed a look of confusion and then hurt slice through her eyes before a small tear fell down her face. 

What had I been thinking kissing her like that? Had I not promised myself to treat her with respect and like a lady, yet here I was acting as if she were a common strumpet that I could do with as I liked.

"God, Cecilia I'm so sorry, I don't know what came over me," I said, disgusted at my own selfishness. Cecilia continued to shake her head as her tears continued to spill down her cheeks. 

She dug her heels into her horses side and set off at a gallop not looking back, a loud crack of thunder echoing around the hill as she fled. Turning Arrow around I set off after her, "Cecilia!" I shouted in the hopes of getting her to stop, I needed to apologise properly.

"Cecilia!" I shouted again, but my cry was drowned out by the rain that had begun to pour down. I continued my chase, making sure to keep her in my line of sight. It did not take long to reach the stables, "James! My horse! Where is Lady Cecilia?" I asked desperately as the scrawny stable boy appeared.

"Yes sir, she was 'ere just a minute ago, gave me 'er 'orse and all before going back to the 'ouse your grace, she looked to be in an 'urry of sorts. Is that all yer grace?" He rambled.

"Yes, yes, thats all James, thank you," I tossed the boy Arrow's reins before dashing into the house where an anxious looking Ellis greeted me.

"Your grace," he said quickly, his eyes darting between me and the stairs.

"Where is she?" I asked, I had to put this right, I had to.

"I think it best if she is left to herself for now your grace," the butler murmured. Goddamn Ellis sometimes, did he not understand that some things couldn't be left?