CHAPTER 27

Rory:

I sat in my London hotel nursing a glass of whisky in my hands as the snow cascaded from the sky. I had come to London a few days ago to sort out some of the financial affairs and speak to my lawyer about the estate, I had also hoped the trip would help me take my mind off her.

Cecilia and I had not yet broken the silence that had fallen between us ever since that day but my thoughts still continued to revolve around her. I had thought that the distance might be beneficial but I had been wrong. 

I remembered something my mother had used to say when Jonathan and I would ask her if father's trips away made her lonely.

She would always evade the exact question and would reply with the same phrase each time, "Absence makes the heart grow fonder." And how right she had been.

I spent my time picturing every detail of her face, remembering every moment we'd shared together, every smile and laugh she had given me. Even the knowledge that she disliked me and our marriage couldn't stop the soar in my heart every time I thought of her.

Today however my mind was intent on recalling every detail about the night of her attack. I felt my stomach churn as the image of her bruised and bloodied body forced itself to the front of my mind. What if something like that happened again and I wasn't there?

I should have brought her with me. No matter that we had been avoiding each other these past weeks, what if something had indeed happened to her whilst I was away? 

Endless scenarios somersaulted through my head, she could've fallen down the stairs, eaten something poisonous, been attacked by ruffians in the forest. I felt a wave of nausea pass over me at the thought that by the time I arrived home she could be lying on her deathbed.

My mind was instantly made up. I hurried downstairs to the reception of the hotel and scribbled down a note to my lawyer asking him to write me the last details of the estate as I had been called home urgently. 

"Could you have this delivered to 22 Cardinal Street as soon as possible please?" I asked the round faced assistant.

"Right away sir." The man nodded his head and disappeared from sight as I hastily returned to my room to pack my things, I would leave for Clampton today.

**********

The journey home was long and painfully slow but we made good progress overall and were set to arrive at Clampton the next day. I prayed that all would be well as I pulled on a pair of brown slacks and buttoned up my shirt.

I headed down to the dining room of the small inn to break my fast before setting off again. I sat down at my table and was soon greeted by a young looking girl.

"How can I help yer sir?" The small girl fiddled with her fingers looking nervously down at her hands. I guessed it was her first post as a serving girl.

"Could you inform me of what you do for breakfast please?" I asked the girl who looked up at me briefly before quickly reverting her eyes back to her hands.

"Well," the girl fumbled, "We've got eggs, bacon, toast, black pudding, sausage, porridge, fruit," the girl rambled off the list of various foods the small inn offered.

"An egg, toast and two rashers of bacon please," I interrupted the girl offering her a smile. She blushed crimson before nodding her head rapidly and scurrying off to the side of the room and behind a small curtain.

After eating my hearty breakfast I felt ready to resume my journey home. The food had somewhat calmed my nerves to begin with, however, as we drew nearer to Clampton, I felt an ill sense of foreboding rising up in my chest.