CHAPTER 15

Cecilia:

What the devil? I lifted my head, my eyes widening as the low melodic notes floated into my ear. How... What...? Rory could sing, and he could sing magnificently at that. I felt his eyes turn to meet mine, a look of victory gleaming in his eyes and I felt a warm blush creep over me. 

I returned my eyes to focus on my music, not that I needed to stare at it as intently as I was, I had been playing this piece since I was young and I was quite accomplished in the art of the piano forte.

The piece came to a finish and without a moments hesitation I pulled Rory's face down to mine, momentarily forgetting what I had intended to say as I found his near proximity infuriatingly breathtaking.. 

I was snapped out of my reverie by his teasing words, "I really don't think we should do this now with all the guests watching," I watched as an impudent grin spread across his face, his words causing my face to flush at his insinuation of why I had pulled his face to me.

"You are a filthy rogue," I snapped in response to his suggestive comment. "I did not know you could sing so well." 

I threw Rory a suspicious look, where had he learned to sing like that. He had ruined my whole plan to publicly humiliate him damn the wretched man. I refrained from growling at the infuriating man as he continued to smile roguishly at me.

What other hidden talents did he hold that I was unaware of? I narrowed my eyes at him, watching him closely, staring into his swirling honey eyes as if they would disclose all his deepest secrets to me. 

"What else are you hiding from me?" I wondered aloud when his eyes did not reveal his deep, dark secrets like I had hoped they would.

"If only you knew my lady," he replied with a chuckle, his eyes however held a melancholy look belying the humour in his laugh, "If only you knew..." He repeated himself, his words quieter the second time. 

I tossed him a perplexed look, if only I knew what? What did I not know? I let out a bleat of protest, I was not one to settle for not knowing. 

When I turned back to ask him what he had meant though, he had moved towards the guests seated on the chaises conversing with them politely as they complimented his singing.

I made my way over to join our guests and decided to take the opportunity to talk to Denny who was seated slightly away from the bulk of the guests. 

"Well you certainly make for a handsome couple," he winked at me jovially, his eyes filled with humour.

"Tosh," I laughed at his teasing comment, slapping his shoulder gently.

"Who would have thought it? Little, feisty Cecilia married to the ungracious, hot-headed Rory, and by the look on your face earlier, it seems our little Cecilia has changed her mind about the aforementioned." He winked at me before sending me a toothy grin.

"I... Are you saying... Me and... Me like... Look on my face...? What the devil has got into you Denny? Are you out of your mind?" Contrary to my words a small blush began to creep up my neck, his words prickling my skin uncomfortably.

"Why, I do believe that is a blush I spy," he chuckled again, enjoying every second of my embarrassment. His words only heightened the redness of my cheeks as I swatted my hands at him  helplessly.

"I am not blushing!" I hissed at him through my clenched teeth.

"Well that is not what I see," he chuckled quietly, "I do believe you are quite attached to your tiresome husband my dear Cecilia."