CHAPTER 23

Rory:

I awoke stiff from my uncomfortable position on the sofa I had slept on. I would not leave her side until she was awake. I stretched out my aching limbs as I stood from the sofa rubbing the side of my neck.

To my dismay Cecilia remained unmoving, her breathing slow and quiet. I ordered a tray of breakfast to be brought up, I would not leave her yet. I changed into a pair of comfortable slacks and a loose shirt. I would have to forfeit my visit to the fields today, Cecilia was my priority.

A maid knocked on the door before setting down a tray for myself and one for Cecilia should she wake up and feel hungry, the doctor had not mentioned any dietary requirements so I assumed the best way to help her in her recovery would be to provide her with plenty of food. 

I nibbled at my plate, my appetite had been lost from the moment I had left the house to find her and it had not yet returned. I was too busy thinking about Cecilia to take the time to contemplate eating a large breakfast.

I pulled an armchair up to the side of the bed and took one of Cecilia's small hands in my own. Her skin was paler than usual and her hand felt incredibly delicate as I clasped it between both my own. I brought her hand up to my lips and placed a lingering kiss on her knuckles. 

The doctor had said she would be fine but she had been very lucky indeed that her attacker hadn't done more damage. Her attacker... He couldn't be the same person that had delivered her other scars and bruises the doctor had mentioned, could he?

I would have to wait for Cecilia to wake before I could find out any more. I sighed, I knew she wouldn't want to talk about it, least of all to me, but I needed to know, I needed to be able to protect her. I hoped she would tell me willingly, I hoped she would trust me, I didn't want to make her do anything against her will but I had to know so I could keep her safe.

Some time later I was awoken by a hand running through my hair, what the devil? I bolted upright from the bed where my head had been resting.

"I didn't mean to wake you, I'm sorry," a voice next to me said softly.

"Cecilia?" I asked, she was sitting up in bed her hand on the sheets as her face turned pink. Was it really her? Was she up and awake, or was it just another hopeful dream?

"Am I dreaming?" I pinched myself, praying it wasn't a dream. She placed her hand over mine and let out a laugh before wincing and moving her hand to her stomach.

"Yes it's me idiot," she smiled, her eyes crinkling slightly at the edges. God how I'd missed her smile, and it hadn't even been twenty four hours. Lord, I was completely and utterly besotted. I had to admit, it was indeed a strange and new feeling, but one I wouldn't trade for the world.

"How are you?" I questioned her, "Where does it hurt? What can I do? Is there anything I can fetch you? Any... Any... Just anything?" I was desperate to be of use to her, I had to prove my worth to her and show her I was changing for the better.

"I've been better," She smiled another dazzling smile and I couldn't help but laugh at her choice of words. "Do not worry yourself about me, I am just a little sore 'tis all." She squeezed my hand lightly, "Thank you though."

"Cecilia," I said, my tone more serious, "We need to talk about... About... About the scars on your body. Cecilia what happened?" She immediately snatched her hand back from mine and twisted her body to face away from mine. I felt my heart drop slightly at the action.

"Cecilia," I held her chin between my thumb and forefinger and brought her face back around until it was level with mine. The terror and pain in her eyes sliced at my heart, she looked so vulnerable, as if she could break with just one touch.