CHAPTER 13

Cecilia:

It had been a fortnight since I had suggested to Rory that we hold a dinner and a fortnight since that kiss that wouldn't leave my mind. I was stood in the large kitchen with Mrs Stone the cook who I was helping with the preparations for the dinner we were to host that evening. 

Mrs Stone was a rotund woman of forty eight years, her face was red and smeared with flour and her hands were worn and wrinkled with age. Contrary to her name suggested she was the kindest of women with a jolly smile always plastered to her face and loved dearly by all the staff at Clampton. Not to mention her skills as a cook were exceptional and she always made the most delicious food.

It had been a while since such a social occasion had been held at Clampton, it seemed the old Duke had not been one for social affairs, and the house was buzzing. 

Mrs Stone was hastening around the kitchen with trays of pastries and meats whilst the younger kitchen girls peeled potatoes and scrubbed parsnips. 

I had busied myself making a pudding to be served for the final course of the meal. I had always been fond of cooking but had not had much chance to experiment at home due to the limited budget for food. We had employed a cook for a few years but she was given the sack after my father had gambled away the money to pay the servants.

Our old cook had taught me how to cook from a young age and with the knowledge she had imparted to me I had managed to make sure my father and I did not starve. 

My favourite thing she had taught me to make was a summer pudding. It consisted of white bread and summer berries with their juices which turned the bread a deep purple-red.

I had gathered the fruits I needed from the garden this morning; strawberries, blackcurrants, raspberries, red currants and white currants. 

I had finished lining the bowl I was using with the pieces of bread from the loaf I had baked earlier and was just about to pour the fruits and sauce in when I heard the whole room fall silent.

"Your grace, is there anything I can do for you?" I heard Mrs Stone say. I shot my head up to find my eyes connect with a pair of stormy copper coloured ones. 

He looked furious, no wonder the kitchen had fallen so silent. I threw him a questioning look, what was he doing down here in the kitchen?"

He turned his head and his eyes softened as he heard the cook address him. 

"Thank you Mrs Stone, I require a private audience with Mrs Huntington." His eyes were steely and guarded as his eyes turned back to mine.

"Can it wait?" I asked hopefully, wanting to finish the pudding before luncheon was served upstairs. I gave him my most pleading look but he didn't budge.

"No it cannot." His voice was hard as his stony eyes bore into mine.

"Give me a moment," I resigned, untying the apron and moving to the sink to wash my hands. I dried my hands on a tea towel conveniently placed on the bench I was working on before smoothing down my dress with my hands and walking towards the door where Rory stood. I flashed Mrs Stone an apologetic smile and assured her I was sure I would not be long.

Rory grabbed my arm and dragged me into one of the many pantries situated next to the kitchen. 

"You're hurting me," I yelped as his clenched hand held my forearm roughly. He immediately released my arm and mumbled an apology before turning away from me and locking the door.

"What is so important that you have dragged me into a locked pantry to tell me?" I huffed irritatedly. "I mean couldn't we at least have discussed whatever this is in -"