Chapter 2

Reid offered his hand to Brontë, expecting her to move if she wanted to shake it. She shook her head instead. “I don’t shake hands.” He announced.

“Fine.” Reid shrugged, letting his hand drop to his side. He looked her up and down as she had done. Tan knee boots, white socks covering her knees, dress with a thin white leather belt. All her hair, minus her fringe, gathered back into a tucked in French Braid. Reid enjoyed the change of clothes on the girl, usually for him he saw females in next to nothing. Someone quite young, acting so mature was something he was foreign to.

"So Mr Kallen with a K." Brontë started, tilting her head. "What d'ya want?"

Reid laughed. "Are you always like this?" He asked.

She shrugged, twisting to face him fully without taking a single foot from the ground. "Only to obnoxious egotistic men." She smiled smugly back. “Also depends on who’s gracing my company.” She joined her hands together behind her back.

"Well you should be overjoyed with the fact that I even said hello." He replied, too proud of himself. Brontë’s despise of him only increased with every word that came from his mouth.

"Well that's just not nice." She frowned.

Reid laughed darkly. "Who said we were playing nice?" He smiled, pulling his packet of smokes from the back pocket of his pants.

"Fine then," She came up to his face.  He slid the box of smokes back into his jeans. "Get off my property." She says, sternly, living with two boys has her immune to the intimidation tactics she sees nothing more than childish.

"Oooh." He smiled, the cigarette between his lips. "Tough girl." Reid flicked open the lighter in front of her face. She flinched back, she looked at the end of the cigarette and then up at him. He lit the end and inhaled. The embers glowed brightly not far from the skin of her face. Brontë could feel the small amount of heat, radiating from the cigarette.

"7 seconds," She said, airily. Going cross eyed looking at the end on the cigarette. Reid suppressed the urge to laugh.

"Hmm, little girl?" She looked up at him with her brown eyes golden in the sun as he exhaled.

Reid was trying his best, the girl was quickly on his nerves, surprisingly, as every girl he's met before was instantly in awe and easily over-powered. Reid liked it that way. Power. Dominance.

Not only did he inherit his looks but the need for power. It gave him comfort in a manly fashion. But this girl was threatening it. Power and control was batting backwards and forwards between the both of them, like a ping pong ball.

"How long is taken of your life when you smoke a cigarette." She replied, clearly disgusted by the smoke.

"Wow. 7 seconds." Reid exhaled sarcastically, breathing smoke in her face once more. "That's a lot of time." He took another breathe. She gave a curt laugh as she moved away, to lean against the tree.

"You'll die a painful death.” She informed. “Lung Cancer, Throat Cancer..."

"Brain cancer…” Reid continued. “If you continue bombarding me with irrelevant information." Reid replied, moving too.

She clapped her hands mockingly. “Big words for such a tiny brain.” She let the clapping cease. "And I wouldn't say it's not irrelevant." Brontë said, narrowing her eyes at Reid, fiddling with her hair.

"It's not healthy to be a know it all." Reid said pulling a face.

"It's not healthy to be a jerk." She replied in the same tone. "Or to smoke." She added as a matter of factly.