Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Reid wasn't sure whether she was angry or just annoyed. Simply because she hadn't uttered a word to him since they'd entered her house. By the way Brontë yanked open the refrigerator and threw a soda at Reid hard, he was almost certain she wasn’t in a good mood.

Taking one for herself and letting the refrigerator close by itself, she didn’t look at Reid. "Hope you like Coke." She said.

In a vain attempt to lighten the mood Reid replied. "The drug or the soda?" She glared at Reid. Wrong thing to say."Kidding."

Staring at him she cracked open her can. "Better be." Brontë warned, exiting the kitchen through on of the open archways into a dark corridor. The only light coming from the back door at the end of the narrow hallway behind him and from the windows at the top of the varnished wooden stairs, that circled up to the next floor in three sets of steps and two small landing areas.

"Where are you going?" Reid called, his eyes had yet to adjust to the darkness.

"I'm going to the music room." A small breathed chuckle followed after. "If you can find your way, by all means come in." Light flooded the dark space as she entered the room. The light went just as it disappeared.

"No fair!" He yelled.

"Use your ears." She yelled back.

Reid sighed a frustrated laugh. "How!?" The delicate notes from a piano drifted through the wood. "Funny."

"It is." She called the music getting a little faster.

"That isn't a Taylor Swift song is it?" Reid asked. Feeling like an idiot with his hands out in front of him. "I don't like her."

"Then how would you know it's her?" She asked.

"Because it sounds like the lyrics that accompany it are about boys, break-ups and... damn it..." He hissed when he hit the door and his coke spilled onto his hand and jacket sleeve. "....falling in love." Reid finished walking into the room where she sat concentrating on her fingers travelling along the ivory. Her hair falling around her face in wispy waves, the sun reflecting from her white dress onto her as she slowed to a few fairy notes and sped up again with passion and emotion. Reid placed down his coke, the fizzy substance already drying and sticky on his hand. She changed into a different pace and song.

"Guess?" She said.

"Radiohead?" She laughed, shaking her head, eyes still on her hands.

"Coldplay. Vida la Vada." She corrected.

"That means..." Reid paused. "Something to do with life."

She laughed again, glancing at him. "I think you mean c'est la vie,"

"Yea that's it."

He shrugged of his jacket, now getting hot. "Again with your shirt." She muttered.

"For your information, I do own a shirt, I just don't usually wear it this time of year."

She nodded. "I know, in the...week? I've known you, you Reid have told me some variation of why you don't wear a shirt every day."

He moved to stand by the side of the piano leaning against it facing her. Watching her small hands glide quickly and efficiently between notes. The piano was vibrating slightly. "Feels weird."

She smiled. "Just music, it's how deaf people listen to music. Well the ones I've met." She cursed slipping up on a note.

"Budge." He said.

"Yes your highness." She moved along the bench anyway. Slowing again, playing with just one hand, the notes high and soft.

"I'm gonna have a go..."