Chapter 9: Brontë

"Whoa, you are completely over reacting about this!"

"I want to make sure you're safe."

"And the security back home couldn't do that?"

We were standing in the hallway of Brax and Reid's cabin. I'd arrived and the other household occupants disappeared as an argument brewed. Braxton had gotten Braedon driven up from Napa Valley because he was worried about someone trying something toward Braedon 'Cuz he was alone.

"I was enjoying some time alone." Braedon informed. We both looked at him with doubtful looks, knowing full well the boy hadn't been alone. "This is just a bit of an over reaction."

"No. There are something's the security down there can't protect you from." Brax said.

"Like rival gangs?" I asked. His head snapped to me, shock plastered all over it. He opened his mouth but the door flew open and Briar jumped in.

"You're here!" She threw herself at Brae who stumbled backward with the sudden impact.

"Hey there Bree." He hugged her back, his eyes were flicking between Brax and I. Briar sensed something was up and turned to look at us. My arms folded, a blank look on my face. Brax confused and shocked. There was a knock at the door. We looked at the girl. She grinned. Blonde hair pull back in a messy bun, side fringe across the right side of her forehead, a few strands on the other side. In neon green off the shoulder top and white shorts with orange heels. Her nails painted a blood red.

"Hey!" She beamed. "I'm Kristen, party for all the young adults around here!" She held out four flyers towards us. Briar stepped up after a few seconds.

"Thanks." Briar smiled, throwing us looks. "See you there."

"Great! Party on peeps!" She ran off in her heels, toward the other girls in her group of sorority girls. Braxton closed the door.

"You're not going." He said to Briar.

"Ur, Brontë is my guardian at the moment, I only listen to Bronte." She looked at me hopefully.

"We'll see later." Briar took that for a yes anyway.

"Tee," Braxton started. I glared at him. "Briar, will you take Brae to your place, Brontë and I need to have a chat."

"You sound like Carmen." I smiled.

"Why do I feel like I should be worried?" Brae said. Brax shot him a look. "Leaving." he held his hands up in surrender. "Try not to kill each other."

"No promises," We said together.

"Oh joy." He closed the door behind him and Briar. Brax approached me. I pushed back my shoulders and raised my brow at him.

"With me." Brax said. He walked past me. I kept my back to him. "Didn't you hear me?"

"I heard you." I replied, twisting round to face him. "I take it you're used to people following your instruction."

"You should anyway." He reminded.

"Why because you're older?"

"Yes," He nodded.

"Teens rebel against their elders anyway."

"Brontë, I'm also your brother."

"That doesn't help your case." He gritted his teeth, I watched the muscle in his jaw tick. I felt a small smile creep onto my face. "Don't look so proud of yourself, you're just being childish." He said storming towards me.

"What you gonna do? Hit me?"

"Not at the moment but continue to push it..."

"I'll just hit you back." He grabbed my arm and yanked me. "Hey!" I stumbled after him, his finger pinching my skin. "Get off me!" He dragged me up the stairs. "Braxton!" He pulled me into his room. Slamming the door shut. He wasn't so shocked now as he was angry. He was looking at the floor.