Chapter 6: The race

At the beach 12 a.m.

Sonic and Shadow stood at the starting line and were waiting for the start. "I'll win the race this time. You'll see." Sonic said. "Says you." Shadow replied. "On your marks, get set ... go!" Tails shouted and the two hedgehogs ran off. They ran through the forest and into the city. Then they ran to the end of the city and made a curve. Sonic and Shadow ran side by side the whole time. They were just at the end of the forest as Shadow's head began to spin. "Not now. I'll win this race whether I feel dizzy or not." Shadow thought and speed up. Sonic noticed that Shadow got faster and also speed up. Sonic saw the finish line and ran as fast as he could.

"I win." shouted Sonic. Amy hugged him and said "I knew you would win." "Yay." Tikal said. "We won the bet." Knuckles said, finishing Tikal's sentence. "And we thought it would be a draw." Cream said and Tails nodded. "Next time I'll bet for Sonic." Silver said. "Me too." Blaze replied as Rouge noticed that Shadow wasn't by them. "Hey, where's Shadow?" Rouge asked a bit worried. "Huh ... he was behind me all the time." Sonic replied. "Doesn't matter ... and now produces the rings." Knuckles said. "Knuckles!" Tikal said angrily. "What?" he asked. "Isn't that Shadow over there?" Amy asked.

"Shadow!" Rouge yelled concerned as she ran in his direction. Rouge was the first at Shadow's side and saw that he was unconscious. The others also ran to Shadow. "What happened?" Silver asked. "What's wrong with him?" Tikal asked. "Is he alright?" Cream asked. "I don't believe that he's doing well. He's very hot." Rouge said worried as she gave her hand on his forehead. "He has a fever?" Knuckles asked confused. "I thought he can't get sick." Blaze said. "He can't ... at least he never was." Sonic answered. "Was his bandage already full of blood before the race?" Tails asked as he saw Shadow's forearm. "No, it wasn't." Rouge said even more worried. "Take off the bandage!" Amy commanded. Rouge took Shadow's arm and took off the bandage. His forearm was warm and swollen. "That looks bad." Silver said. "That doesn't look good." Tails said. "But I have cleaned his wounds." Rouge said. "Okay, let's get him to Tails workshop. The rest of you goes home and Rouge comes with us." Sonic replied. The others all agreed and went home. "I'll come with you." Amy said. "If you insist." Sonic said and took Shadow. "Rouge, I want you to tell me everything what happened yesterday." Tails said. Rouge nodded and began to talk.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

In the forest 12:30 p.m.

Rapidus saw everything and called his master. "Master, we have a little problem." Rapidus said. "What is it?" 'the master' asked annoyed. "Shadow blacked out and his friends don't let him out of sight. Especially not this stupid bat." Rapidus explained. "WHAT! ... He shouldn't be guarded by his friends." 'the master' said angrily. "And what should we do now." Rapidus asked. "Continue watching them, I already have a new plan." 'the master' replied and hung up. "I'll get you Shadow the Hedgehog." he said with an evil laugh.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

At Tails' workshop 12:45 p.m.

Rouge had just finished telling when they entered the workshop. "Do you have the tooth?" Tails asked. "Yes, it's in the dustbin." Rouge answered. "Why do you need it?" Amy asked. "I want to find out what kind of animal bit Shadow and if it's dangerous." Tails replied. "I'll get the tooth." Sonic said as he laid Shadow on a table. "Why you? It's Rouge's apartment." Amy asked. "Because ... I don't think that she'll leave Shadow now." Sonic said and Rouge blushed. "I think you're right." Amy replied when she saw Rouge. Sonic nodded and ran out of the house.

"Uh ... what actually happened to the door?" Amy asked. "Sonic ran through it ... again." Tails replied. "Typical Sonic." Rouge said laughing. "Whatever, could you bring me a bowl with hot water and the first-aid kit?" Tails asked. "Sure." Rouge and Amy said at the same time.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

At Rouge apartment 12:50 p.m.

Sonic stood before Rouge's apartment and knocked at the door. "Hopefully Omega is at home." he thought. Shortly afterwards the door opened and Omega stood in front of Sonic. "Hi Omega, long time no see." Sonic said. "SONIC THE HEDGEHOG. WHAT DO YOU WANT?" Omega asked. "I need to get something from the dustbin for Rouge." Sonic answered. "COME IN." Omega replied and Sonic ran to the kitchen. After half a minute of searching he found the tooth and ran to Omega who was still standing at the door. "Thanks Omega. See you." Sonic said and ran away.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Back at Tails' workshop 12:58 p.m.

Rouge and Amy were in the bathroom and got the things Tails needed. "You know that you have to go out with Shadow when he has recovered." Amy said. "I don't worry about that now, I just hope that Shadow will soon be okay. And they must repeat the race, because it wasn't fair." Rouge answered a bit worried. "Don't worry. He'll survive it." Amy said. "Thank you, now I feel much better." Rouge replied sarcastically.

Rouge and Amy came out of the bathroom and saw Sonic as he ran into the house. "I have the tooth." he said. "Good, please put it next to my computer. I'll run some tests with the tooth after I'm done with Shadow." Tails said. "Okay." Sonic answered and put the tooth on the desk. "Tails we have the hot water and the first-aid kit." Amy said while smiling to Sonic. "Do you need something else?" Rouge asked and looked worried at Shadow who was still unconscious. "Not currently." Tails replied as he put some gloves on. "Then let's get started." Tails said.