Chapter 11

Warning: slight language. somewhat violence

The animals all made one horrifying sound that was sure to haunt Jasmine's dreams for days afterwards. The four birds launched into the air first and started circling the arena. Soon afterwards the three rabid dogs began slowly but menacingly stepping forward. Jasmine managed to jerk herself out of her fear-filled gaze and rushed forward to grab the first weapon that her fingers touched-the dagger. She gripped it firmly in her hands and ran as far as she could.

Meanwhile, deciding that she had enough, Aaliyah got out of her seat and marched over to the control screens. She seized Roxanne by the wrist.

"Roxanne! Have you lost your fucking mind?! She's probably had no formal physical training and you've just thrown her into an assessment which would cause even the toughest elite to pee their pants!"

Roxanne rolled her eyes and yanked her wrist out of her grasp.

"Fine. I'll deactivate the wolf, the bear and the panther but I'm still keeping the rabid dogs," mumbled Roxanne as she tapped the screen.

"What about those razor-clawed flying death machines?" questioned Brooke through grit teeth.

Roxanne turned away from the screens and punched Brooke playfully.

"Relax Jordan! They're only cameras and one is to monitor how her vital signs. How terrible do you guys think I am?"

"You made Cam run through the Shifting Forest in nothing but a coconut bra and a skirt made of meat," dead-panned Aaliyah.

A look of nostalgia passed over Roxanne's face.

"I'm evil, aren't I?" sighed Roxanne, a smile playing on her lips, "Now can we please get back to watching the battle? I've been needing some good entertainment for weeks now."

The three looked back at the arena just in time to see Jasmine jump to avoid being clawed.

Jasmine could hear her heart pounding in her ears as she turned back to see the angry faces of those robotic monstrosities. When she realized that there wasn't going to be any mercy for her, she halted quickly and spun around, assuming a rushed stance. The dagger whizzed through the air and planted itself in the neck of one of the dogs.

'Okay, how the heck did I just do that?!' thought Jasmine as she watched  it fall to the ground,the blue lights in its eyes dimmed and shut off.

The two remaining dogs paused and scanned their fallen comrade before howling to the skies. Jasmine gulped and started sprinting to the pedestal to grab another weapon to defend herself. Just as she was approaching the pedestal, a deafening sound boomed throughout the arena causing her to involuntarily cover her ears.

Roxanne was all over the controls. Trying to find out what was going on.

"Shut it off!" shouted Brooke.

"Relax! I got this!" replied Roxanne.

Sparks shot out of one of the machines before it burst into flames.

"Okay maybe I don't got this!" screamed Roxanne as she jumped away from the fire.

"No shit!" yelled Brooke as she grabbed the nearest fire extinguisher and put it out.

The sound in the arena left Jasmine's ears ringing slightly. When she turned to look for the two dogs that were supposed to be tearing at her flesh, she found that they were both lying on the ground. They had both been shut off. Just when she thought Roxanne decided to be merciful, she heard the horrifying sounds of the cybernetic atrocities again, signaling that another group was ready to attack. The panther stalked towards her first, its red eyes boring into her like lasers. She grabbed the axe from the pedestal and started stepping back slowly. The wolf and the bear had their eyes on her as well now. They all walked towards her at a threateningly slow pace with flaming red eyes that made her tremble in her shoes.