Chapter 20

Jasmine made her way to the arena tunnel with Roxanne who was still giving her some last minute advice. As her coach, Roxanne was allowed to be with her before the match and during breaks. Her face still stung a little but the whole ordeal was the last thing on her mind.

"Do not show any fear whatsoever!" advised Roxanne, "Anybody with Crimson blood can smell fear from a mile away."

Jasmine halted immediately, almost slipping on the tiled floor.

"You and Vincent are related?!"

"He's my cousin," shrugged Roxanne.

Jasmine buried her face in her hands and groaned.

"So I'm basically fighting against the devil's relative?"

"The worst one at that. The guy is a Chryoskoni and last time I checked, he was at least six feet and two inches and around two-sixty pounds.

Jasmine's eyes widened and she felt her stomach knot up again.

"I'm only five foot two! He'll crush me!" she threw her hands up in frustration, "I-I don't think I can do this," she mumbled.

Roxanne grabbed her shoulders and shook her violently.

"You. Will. Do. Fine. Do you hear me! There is no room for panic! You're going to go out there and you are going to show that troll of a mother how great of a trainer I am!" yelled Roxanne.

Jasmine could do nothing but nod so Roxanne could release her. All that shaking about was making her feel even more nauseous.

"Besides," continued Roxanne, "If he does flatten you, you'll get a funeral with a budget worth my paycheck, and I don't even get paid!"

"You're not helping!"

"I'm not trying to. Now get yourself together! You have about fifteen minutes to be as ready as can be."

Roxanne opened the door and they entered the dimly lit changing room where they waited anxiously for the signal. They sat in silence except from the occasional buzz of Roxanne's cellphone.

Jasmine paced back and forth as she began to feel out of place just as she did when she had just arrived.

"Could you stop that? I'm not even watching you but I feel dizzy!" scowled Roxanne before returning to her phone screen with a fond smile.

Jasmine just paused momentarily, shook her head and continued. She had a lot on her mind.

It was by luck that she had bumped into Winifred which led her to meet Eluard. She was extremely fortunate that she had Chryoskoni blood in her or she would never had been able to survive most of the stuff that had been thrown at her.

It was all by chance. A brush of luck.

And it all could have been the other way around.

She actually wished Eluard was in there with her. He always managed to brighten up her day and make her smile.

But before she could finish her almost nostalgic thoughts, someone barged in through the door and shattered the silence.

"Winifred? What are you doing here?" questioned Roxanne.

Jasmine looked up from where she was sitting. It was, as a matter of fact, Winifred, looking younger than the last time they met.

"Not that we don't enjoy your company or anything!" added Jasmine hastily.

"And don't you have somewhere to be, something illegal to do?" asked Roxanne with her attention now slowly returning to her phone screen.

"And miss my favorite girl's biggest event of her life thus far?! As if!" panted Winifred as she brushed some dust off her coat.