Chapter 31

Jasmine had only been in bed for about an hour or two. And by the time she did manage to shut her eyes, Brooke had thrown a shoe at the back of her head, signaling that it was time to wake up. She had decided to keep Tabitha close to her in the night in case she needed another vison.

"Wake up sleeping beasty!" sang Brooke, getting her stuff ready, "The Aerinian troops have already been spotted entering and we don't have much time. The whole country is on high alert."

"Just leave me here to die already," groaned Jasmine, covering her face with a pillow.

"Don't make me hit you with a stiletto!"

Jasmine quickly succeeded in jumping out of bed, only to sit back down when the dizziness started.

"Grandma," scoffed Brooke as she slid on her camo trousers.

"I honestly didn't think they'd be coming for our asses this early," muttered Brooke.

"Who did?"

Jasmine got up and began to get dressed in her tactical gear too. The weaponry would be collected later.

Walking through the hallways, Jasmine could physically feel all the tension in the compound, as if one wrong move would cause everyone to snap. Her boots hit the floor in sync with everyone else's making the echoes almost rhythmic. Everyone was headed to the barracks to get their gear and to have the leaders add more onto the tactics they already knew.

When she got there she spotted Eluard and went over to stand by him. He took hold of her hand and squeezed it.

Coirwen droned on about safety and what to expect amongst other things that Jasmine was finding hard to absorb. As a Chryoskoni, her main task would be to take down and large war machinery they would have brought with them, amongst other tasks like taking down enemy soldiers. Staying alive wasn't on the mentioned of tasks (not) surprisingly.

Her heart thumped in her chest as she grabbed her gear, her vest, her helmet, her pouch bag but when she walked over to collect her weaponry a familiar face caught her eye.

"Winifred?" she asked.

Said woman turned around, looking in her late twenties now, dressed in the same tactical gear that the Corps fighters were wearing.

"Hello Jasmine!" she greeted as soon as she was done gathering a few guns and magazines.

"Winifred what are you doing here?!" she asked, her tone dead serious.

"Jasmine I've been living in Griffinstone for over a hundred years now, trust me, I know what I'm doing. Now stop worrying about me and gear up, we don't have much time. If you were actually listening to the general, they're headed straight for the Hellfire Corps Compound."

Jasmine was about to argue but she knew it wouldn't do anything. When she along with everyone else was stocked up and ready, they made their way to what was going to be the main battle ground. The Aerinian troops were quickly approaching and could be seen in the distance.

The military troops were already there, locked and loaded, ready to reclaim their country. They actually looked pretty intimidating. Just as she was about to get into her position in the lines, she was turned around and her mask was slid down to her neck, exposing her mouth. It was Eluard.

"This might just be the last time I get to do this so..."

She needed no explanation. She pulled him forward and almost instantly his lips were on hers. It was quick but it still had passion packed in it.

"Stay safe and kick ass okay?" he said the moment they pulled away, resting his forehead on hers.

"Same to you, soldier," she said, a small smile playing on her lips. Just as she was about to turn away he called her back.