Chapter 9

"Happy Halloween!" Imani and Jai say in unison as they sit down at my table in the library.

I look up from my notebook and give them both a small smile. "Happy Halloween."

Time seems like it's flying, but when you're living in the moment it doesn't exactly feel that way. I am happy that time is going by because I really just want to go home. It is already Halloween and halfway through the semester.

"Sooo...what are the big plans for tonight?" Jai asks with a smile that could light up the room.

"I don't have any." I say, which makes the both of them groan and roll their eyes. "Am I missing something here?"

"Girl..." Jai look at me with his head titled. "Your boyfriend is an athlete—a pretty popular one at that and he didn't tell you about any Halloween parties?"

I look at the both of them with blank eyes. They know that I am not someone that you want to tell about a party because chances are (high chances, might I add) that I'm not going to go.

"Maybe he did but I forgot about it." I mumble and look away.

"Seriously, we get that you don't like partying or whatever, but it's Halloween! This is the one night where you get to be anyone else but yourself," Imani says. "And on that one night what does Asia decide to do? Stay inside and be Asia. Don't you like Halloween?"

"My grandmother says that it's the devil's day." I shrug and they both laugh.

"Okay, well we're not preteens and we're not elders. We're young adults who like to experience things for themselves," She says. "What did you do last Halloween?"

"I worked." I reply. They both give me that look. "What? It was extra cash in my pockets..."

"When's the last time you did something fun for Halloween? When's the last time you've even had fun?"

"Listen, I don't know about you guys but I'm always fun." I joke because I know that I'm not.

"Yeah...right." They say sarcastically and look at each other.

"So what exactly do you plan on doing tonight?" Jai squints his eyes at me.

I shrug.

"Do you want to do something tonight?"

I shrug again, causing Jai to mutter something under his breath.

"I uh...have to head to class now so I'll catch you guys later." I stand up and sling my bag onto my shoulder.

"Okay, fine. So you don't want to go to a party tonight," Imani says as she abruptly stands. "Are you at least going to the game tonight? Since it is your boyfriend's team."

"Yeah, I'll be there." I nod.

"Well then I guess we'll see you there."

"I guess so." I flash them both a small closed-mouth smile and head out.

Was it really a good idea to go out tonight? I wasn't so sure. Trouble has an easy way of finding me and I am more than positive it will find an opportunity to present itself on a night like tonight. It may be Halloween, but bad things have a way of finding me even if I pretend to be someone I'm not for the night.

<>.<>.<>

"Woooo! Go Notre Dame!" A girl beside me screams right into my ear, causing me to cringe. Jeez, that girl had a pair of lungs on her.