Chapter 25

"Should I go with the black or peach color?" I ask Cora and Cheyenne in an indecisive tone.

"I say the peach because it makes your skin tone pop." Cora tells me as she holds the long, elegant, peach colored gown against my body.

"I agree." Cheyenne nods. 

The three of us were at the mall on a cold Thursday afternoon. I've been home for a little over a week now and it felt good to be home. It was like a breath of fresh air and overall I just feel happier being here. There is something comforting about being around my family and such a great support system.

I was at the mall today because I had to find a dress for this weekend. Recently my father received a huge promotion as well as a large raise and bonus. A few other coworkers of his were promoted as well but now my father has become one of the CEOs of his company, which is awesome because I know it's what he's wanted. I mean, that is why we moved to Elwood in the first place.

But because of such a large promotion, there's going to be a big ceremony going on this weekend. It's going to be very swanky (or at least that's how they made it seem) and our family was invited to attend. At first I didn't really want to go, but I know that my father wants all of us to be there. But the main reason I didn't want to go was because it falls on my birthday.

My 19th birthday is on Saturday as well. Life was just getting so ahead of me that I feel so unprepared for it. Turning 19 isn't that big of a deal to me, so I decided that I didn't really want to do anything for it. I wasn't really into birthdays and my mother tried to get me to throw a party because unfortunately for my 18th birthday I was in the hospital from being kidnapped, but I didn't want to. I'm just not into it this year. Maybe next year when I am officially out of my teenage years.

My parents think I'm lying for the sake of my father and his promotion party, but truly I'm being honest. There isn't really anything I want to do and Christmas is about two weeks so there's not much I want. I guess what I really want is to be with my family and I will be so I don't have any other requests. I was going to do stuff with Cora and Cheyenne Friday night and then spend Saturday with my family. That sounded cool, right?

"So peach it is, then." I nod.

"So you really want to spend your birthday at some boring party for older people?" Cheyenne asks me as we make our way to the register.

"Who says it's going to be boring?"

She gives me a look. "Now we both know there's nothing fun about these types of parties."

I shrug. "You never know."

"Well at least we get to celebrate it with you tomorrow." Cora says with a smile.

"Right," I smile and nod. "It's just a birthday."

"A.K.A. the day to be selfish!" Cheyenne exclaims.

"I'm trying not to be selfish anymore. That's one of my flaws." I frown.

"You know I didn't mean it like that," She slumps her shoulders. "I just mean why not be selfish on this day if you're not going to be selfish on the other 364 days of the year?"

"Cheyenne, it's fine. Really, I don't mind." I laugh at her crazed facial expression.

"Okay, fine. But when you turn 20 there will be no excuses or we're going to have some problems!" She threatens.

"Okay, okay." I laugh. "Now that I will agree to."

I proceed to buy my gown and we head towards the next store so that I can find a pair of heels to match the dress.