Chapter 27

"Are you sure you don't want to go?" Cora asks me.

"I think I am." I nod as I repeatedly toss a ball into the air and catch it.

Cora and Cheyenne were over at my house just hanging out. One of our old friends from high school was throwing a huge New Year's party and had invited the three of us. A part of me wanted to go but then again I didn't.

"Are you sure, though?" Cheyenne asks. "I don't want you to be alone for New Year's."

"I'll most likely be sleeping, anyways." I tell her.

"Is it because you don't like parties anymore?" Cora asks.

"That is part of the reason."

"You know we would never let anything happen to you, right?" Cheyenne asks. "I'll make sure of that."

"I know it's just...I don't know."

"Of course we won't pressure you into going; we just thought it might be nice to get out for the night." Cora reminds me.

My face falls. I know they really want me to go out with them tonight, especially since we're all single (well Cora isn't single, but Evan isn't here at the moment). I guess they just want to have a girl's night and I begin to feel bad because I don't want to be that friend. I haven't gone out to a party with my best friends for such a long time.

I think the last time we went to a party together was in the beginning of our senior year, which was a little over a year ago. I did trust myself going out with them. If I could go out with Jai and Imani who were rowdier than Cora and Cheyenne and a lot more wild, then a night with my best friends should be fine. I guess it wouldn't hurt to go...

"Do you guys really want me to come?" I sit up and look at the two of them.

"Duhhh!" Cheyenne says.

"Yes!" Cora says with a nicer tone than Cheyenne.

"Okay, I'll come." I decide with a smile.

"Yay!" They both cheer.

"But if it gets too much for me I'm leaving." I warn them in a serious tone.

"Okay." They both agree happily.

I lie back down on my bed and continue to toss the ball.

"So..." Cheyenne's voice trails off and I know this conversation is about to go somewhere fishy.

"What?" Cora asks before I can.

"Asia, have you spoken to Nick or Hunter recently?" Cheyenne asks me.

"Nope."

"Really? Either of them?" She sounds shocked.

"Nope."

"When was the last time you spoke to them?"

"Christmas, maybe."

"Really?" She still sounds shocked.

"Yes."

"I thought you two were friends?"

"We were...but I told him I couldn't be his friend anymore." I confess.

The room grows dead silent. I continue to wait for one of them to speak but neither of them either do. I grow perplexed. "Why aren't you two saying anything?"

"Because you're too confusing for me." Cheyenne speaks after another moment of silence.

"How?" I sit up again and look at her. "You haven't even heard my reason as to why."