Chapter 28 (Epilogue!)

— – - 5 Months Later - – —

"So Miss Williams, I hear today is a very special day for you." My therapist, Dr. Patel says with a smile.

"It is, Dr. Patel."

"May I ask why?"

"Oh, I think you know why."

"I may..." He smirks. "But I want to hear it from you."

"Well there are a couple of different reasons..." My voice trails off as I look out the window beside us, the sun shining bright. "I'm finally registered for fall semester classes, everything at work is going fine, and my friends are finally coming home from school."

"And?" He leans forward.

"Today is my last session!" I can't help but gush because I am so excited.

"Yes, it is your last session with me. How do you feel about that?"

"It feels...refreshing," I tell him. "Bittersweet, but very refreshing."

I have been having sessions with Dr. Patel 2-3 times a week for the past few months. I know it may not seem like a lot but trust me...it was a lot. But I can't say it didn't help. Dr. Patel has helped me in so many ways. I think he's helped me more this time around rather than the last time because this time I was actually open to change and improvement.

"I've watched you improve, Asia, and I've got to say...you've been doing a great job." 

"I guess you really do see change when you put in the effort."

"That is very true," He nods. "How are you feeling about everything? From the very first time we met you were so closed off and you assumed that your way of thinking was best. But now that your mindset has changed, how do you feel?"

I inhale deeply. "Honestly...I feel great, Dr. Patel. For so long I just wanted to be true to myself and those around me and I just wanted heal from my past. But after talking with you, it made me realize that I am stronger than what I believed and that I have the ability to change my life."

"And that's exactly what you did. You have a job that makes you happy, you're about to continue your higher education, you're in a healthy relationship, and have a great support system." He points out, which makes me smile.

"I do, a
nd I'm very grateful for it all."

"There's only one true concern that I have."

"Which is?" I look at him with my eyebrows furrowed.

"I know we've worked on different ways to approach difficult situations and I think you've got a pretty good grasp on that," He starts.

"I do." I nod.

"But what if something major or life changing in a negative way happens? How will you handle that? I don't want you to forget everything you've learned and end up back where you were in January."

I inhale deeply. I know what he is referring to. My mind can be my biggest enemy and I know how to convince myself of the worst all of the time. This has happened time after time. I work so hard to fix the way I react to things and once something worse happens, I don't know how to deal with it and I fall back on bad habits.

But I know better now. And because I know better I am not only able to try, but I am able to do better. Now that I have more practice and insight on that, I will not react to things in the same way. I have come too far to not do so.