Goodbye, My Darling

Ahsoka stood at the back of the line, waiting for her turn. It should've been her that lay there, not him. He didn't deserve it, not even a little. She would do anything to take his place, but it didn't matter. It was done. The blast that pierced her shoulder shouldn't have shaken her. If only she had been more focused.    

It was a sunny day, with birds chirping and flowers blooming. He would've loved to see it. She should be rejoicing their victory over the enemy, but instead she was mourning the loss of her friend, or maybe even something more. If only she had told him how she felt before his fall. If only she had been stronger.

It seemed as though the entire planet had shown up for his funeral. He has saved their lives in exchange for his own. From her place in line, she could see his body, covered with a thin white sheet. A boquet of roses sat above him. How she would've loved to recieve a rose from him, though she knew it would remain a dream, for she was a Jedi and he a Senator. The soft background music jabbed at her heart, making her want to break down in tears. But she had to remain composed. Such was the plague of the Jedi.

The line began to move in front of her, and she took a step forward up the stairs. Would she abe able to keep it together? She could've saved him. She knew it. If only she had been faster.

She took another step forward. Why didn't she tell him she loved him? Now, he would never know. The cliff shouldn't have taken him away from her. If only she had been braver. 

And then, it was her turn. With a heavy heart, she took the last few steps to his side. Everyone was watching her, it seemed, but she didn't care. He was gone. They would never share another laugh, another adventure, or another memory.

She wiped away a tear, letting out a grief-stricken sigh. Goodbye, my darling Lux. I miss you, more than you could ever fathom. I've loved you always, and I always will...

Tearing herself away from him, she joined the others on the side of the stage.

"I'm sorry for your loss," her comrade said to her, barely above a whisper.

"Thanks, but it's over now. Let's just leave it at that." Her gaze fell.

The king raised his arms and spoke to the crowd. "Remember this day, the day Onderon became free again!"

He would be glad his sacrifice gave Onderon its freedom.

~

A/N: Hey guys XD I hope everyone had a magnificent week this past week. I am here with another update! Yay self!

I was thinking earlier today about what migh've happened if it were Lux that died instead of Steela, and this one-shot just kind of happened. Why is this being posted today, you ask, if I just came up with the idea this afternoon? Having gone through a similar experience myself, this episode makes me tear up all the time. Saw's face..... Lux tying to comfort him.... UGH SO MANY FEELS. It was easy to write because I know how it feels. Hopefully it wasn't too depressing ;)

An update for Park Benches is coming soon, so stay tuned! Have a marvelous weekend, and may the force be with you!