Die a Happy Man

It had been ten years since Lux Bonteri had first met the love of his life. He didn't know it back then, of course, but now, he couldn't imagine himself with anyone else.

Everything had been so different when Ahsoka came to Raxus. She had been a Jedi then, and the clone war raged across the galaxy. It had even made its way to Onderon, which is when Lux realized that he was madly in love. 

Now, as he sat through the monotony of another meeting with the Imperial official in charge of Onderon's sector of the galaxy, Lux's thoughts dwelled on her. Ahsoka had gone off on another mission with the growing rebellion. He was happy that she was making a difference and staying true to her Jedi roots, but he really missed her. He had trouble sleeping at night sometimes, knowing that every time she left, there were no guarantees that she would make it back to him alive. 

As the meeting dragged on about Imperial policy, Lux slipped his hand inside his pocket, feeling the small velvet box he kept with him. He smiled. He really hoped she would like it. He had been over the plan so many times with Saw in Ahsoka's absence, and now that the time to set it in motion was upon him, he was nervous. What if she said no? What if something went wrong? What if he messed something up?

As soon as the meeting concluded, Lux boarded his shuttle and headed back to Onderon. He had a lot of work to do if he was going to pull this off. Ahsoka was supposed to return later that evening, which meant that everything had to be done in the next few hours. 

After changing into some more comfortable clothes, Lux headed out to a small clearing in the jungle outside the city walls. He took Ahsoka there for a picnic every time she returned from a mission, and this time would be no different. This time, however he skipped the blanket and chairs and opted for candles and flower petals. 

Just as he was finishing, his comm rang. 

"Bonteri here," he said. The caller didn't have an ID, which meant that it was either Ahsoka or someone he didn't know

"Hey, love." It was Ahsoka. "I'm about to drop out of hyperspace. Are we still on for dinner tonight?"

He resisted the urge to swear. She wasn't supposed to be back until nightfall! Lux's hand reached for the ring box again. "Of course! I'm on my way to pick you up now."

"Great," she said. "See you soon. Love you."

"Love you, too."

Lux hurriedly put the finishing touches on his attempt at a romantic scene before grabbing his things and making his way back to Iziz. 

He had barely enough time to hide any evidence of what he'd been doing before hopping on a speeder and going to the spaceport to pick up Ahsoka. 

As soon as he got there, she was waiting for him. Her cloak covered her face so she wouldn't be recognized by the Imperials, but Lux didn't have to see her face to know it was her. 

"Welcome home, sweetheart," he said, helping her on to the speeder. 

"Good to be back."

Picking Ahsoka up was always the hardest part. It took everything Lux had not to throw his arms around her and shower her with kisses. He was an Imperial Senator and had a reputation to uphold, and he really didn't want to risk blowing her cover as a rebel informant. They were silent until they returned to the Bonteri estate on the other side of the city. 

As soon as they were safely inside, their reservations were gone. Lux spun her around and pulled her in for a kiss passionate kiss. 

"I missed you," she said, planting a playful kiss on his nose. "This mission was a real disaster." She stomped over to the couch and took off her cloak. "They had one job, Lux. One job! And somehow I still ended up having to pick up the pieces!" She was referring to the Ghost crew, of course. Most of the work she had been doing of late was meant to support their endeavors on Lothal. "Don't go after him, I said. And you know what they did?"