Day 14 - Mocha Cupcake

Monday was a rainy day, no surprise there.

Miss P had just left the shop with Henry in tow who wore a bright red rain jacket that nearly swallowed him up wholly. Nevertheless he had barked excitedly when Aidan had crouched down to pet his head, the long silky ears swishing from side to side as the tiny dog's whole body moved with the force of his wagging tail.

Only a few moments later the bell chimed again and April shuffled in, shaking off the rain water just as fiercely as Henry. Aidan watched her amused, trying to figure out if the sketchy green cupcakes still had an effect on her, however she looked fine albeit a bit sheepish when she finally had wiped off her shoes on the doormat and taken off her rain jacket's hood.

"Good morning!" She smiled at him and came around the counter to access the hallway which led back to the staff room. At least she didn't sway and furthermore didn't attempt to stick her head out of any windows.

Aidan rubbed his eyes tiredly.

"Sorry for that call yesterday," April mumbled, a blush staining her cheeks a deep red colour. "I really didn't know what's been in those cupcakes."

He waved her off, having no intention of making her worry even more. "It's fine, really."

"Thanks." She fiddled with the strings of her apron and squinted out into the rain. Pine Grove showed them its ugly side today, dark and cold with no intention to change any time soon.

"Did I miss anything?" April asked and he licked his lips. She would find out, wouldn't she? And he didn't want to hurt her by keeping silent about it; it was probably better if he told her instead of her hearing bits and pieces here and there, odd rumors why the stranger didn't go into the baking fairy's shop anymore.

"We kissed," he said, barely audible over the pounding rain and all the other noises. Her mouth gaped open before her expression gradually shifted to one of giddy excitement until she looked like the hash cupcakes hadn't worn off at all.

"Aidan!" She playfully smacked his shoulder as if she had caught him elbow deep in the cookie jar. "I knew it!"

"He, well, we agreed to keep some distance while he's here," he tacked on and she scowled.

"What?"

He flinched, shrugging his shoulders awkwardly. "It's better I guess."

April gazed at him confused and he busied himself with wiping down the spotless counters. Not everyone could have a fairytale love story like her and Josh, right?

"I'm gonna kill that bastard," she muttered under her breath and he whirled around, narrowing his eyes at her.

"You won't. And you won't say a single thing to him," he warned seriously. It was obvious that she wanted to argue - countless reasons to throw rotten eggs at Keith's house, cover his car in shaving cream and put dog poop into his mail box - however she kept silent and snatched the soapy sponge out of his hand to furiously scrub at the table furthest from the counter where Aidan stood dumbfounded.

He was well aware that she wasn't mad at him but her turning her back on him hurt nonetheless.

"I'm in the office," he announced meekly and shuffled down the hallway to the cramped room, heavily plopping down on the chair behind his desk.

He stared at the dark screen in front of him, anger bubbling in his stomach. He had thought that she would hug the hell out of him and pamper him to death - of course he would've been annoyed by it but secretly grateful - but although her reaction made sense in some way he couldn't help but feel betrayed. She was his best friend and supposed to have his back in any situation, right?