Day 23 - Super Moist Chocolate Cupcake

The following day was Lara's first day as an official member of The Sugar Stop Squad - the name was April's idea, obviously.

Aidan had shown her everything there was to do in the morning and together they had made the first huge batch of cupcakes which had to last through the early morning rush. With her help he had even finished Mister Lowe's order without having to stress about the time at all and it made him feel oddly relaxed and on edge at the same time. Like, it was too good to be true.

He was currently telling her about the little quirks their register had - also, the solution which was usually nervously waiting or a hearty pat - when their first customer came in.

"Good morning, Miss P," Aidan greeted the woman who had undoubtedly as many if not more quirks as their register.

"Good morning, Aidan," she replied which was droned out by Henry's excited yipping. The King Charles Cavalier Spaniel had a dried leaf stuck to his left ear and Aidan came around the counter and crouched down to untangle it from the long silky hair.

"Look at this. Where have you stuck your nose into, buddy?" He petted the dog who panted happily at the attention.

"Oh, he's a curious little boy," Miss P chuckled.

Aidan returned back behind the counter to dispose of the leaf and wash his hands with soap to get the smell of wet dog off. "Why don't you take Miss P's order?" he prompted and smiled encouragingly at Lara.

She looked a bit nervous but he didn't doubt that she would do just fine.

"What can I get you? Coffee perhaps?"

To his amusement, Miss P seemed to be equally as nervous as Lara and the two women looked at each other, both blushing and at a loss of words.

"Y-yes, coffee," Miss P finally said, glancing at Aidan who smiled encouragingly. "To go, please."

"Of course." Lara fumbled with the paper cups though she kept smiling. "Would you like a cupcake with your beverage? We've got a wide selection of different flavours."

Most likely Aidan should have told her about their regulars and he made a mental note to do so later, however at the moment he was satisfied with observing the quite hilarious interaction. Like watching a baby calf attempt to walk for the first time.

Miss P shuffled closer to look at the displayed pastries while Henry was going haywire, bounding through the café in a flurry of paws and ears and making Aidan wonder how his owner, who had to be nearing her eightieth birthday, was able to keep up with the fuzzy bundle of energy. The small dog was yipping impatiently, probably wondering what was taking her so long this time.

"Those Chocolate Cupcakes look good," Miss P said with a frown on her face. She looked at Aidan for help.

"Oh, they're really good," Lara chimed in with a bright smile. "Aidan kindly let me add my own twist to them today. They're very rich in flavour and so moist that they nearly melt on the tongue."

Both women blinked at each other for a moment before Miss P nodded slowly. "I'll take one of those then."

Lara - having found her confidence due to Miss P's choice - packaged the order and placed it on the countertop to take the money their customer held out to her.

"Keep the change, dear." Miss P winked at Aidan. "You earn it for keeping up with that - how is it called? - workaholic."

Lara giggled while it was Aidan's turn to be at a loss for words.

Miss P called Henry to her side and exited the café with him and her purchase. She waved through the big window and then disappeared down the street and out of sight.