Day 30 - Vegan Earl Grey Cupcake

"I'll be in the office if you need me, okay?"

Granny huffed and made a shooing gesture. "I'll be fine, boy. I've hosted reading circles even before you pooped in your diapers."

Aidan grimaced but couldn't help the smile which seemed to have been Granny's intention all along.

"Now go and write that application," she instructed and shoved the mug of hot tea into his hands.

He mumbled an incoherent answer and once he had his back to her, he rolled his eyes.

"And don't roll your eyes at me!"

He nearly jumped out of his skin and hastily scurried into his office before she could come up with any ideas of going after him to pull his ear. It was a miracle anyways that his ears weren't as long as a rabbit's considering how often he'd been caught rolling his eyes.

After closing the door to ensure he would have the much needed silence to concentrate on his task, he settled down behind his desk and pushed some documents to the side to create space.

Admittedly, it felt a bit like treason to work on his future in another city while sitting in the café he'd built with his own sweat and tears and was about to abandon like an unwanted pet. Not that he had the heart to ever abandon an innocent animal. He had even crept up to the attic of the old post office to make sure the bats were alright after they had scared the shit out of him about two weeks ago.

First, he had to call Luke to get some more details out of his old friend. He had to smile a bit as he remembered their last conversation. Luke made him feel all kinds of good and Aidan briefly wondered if they would be able to pick up where they had left things when Luke had moved to California. It would be easy, right? If Aidan really moved to New York, they would be able to meet a lot, go on dates and get reacquainted with each other. Maybe they would work even better because they had both grown as persons.

Quickly, he cut the train of thought short. This wasn't about finding a boyfriend, this was about finding a job. Everything else had to wait. Although, his personal life had been on the back burner ever since he had finished college which was a long time now that he thought about it.

Before he could drown in self-pity, Aidan picked up his phone and dialed Luke's number. According to Luke, he worked a lot from home so Aidan wasn't worried about disturbing him at work or in a meeting.

"Hello, Aidy!" Luke greeted him cheerfully and Aidan groaned.

"I'll hang up immediately if you don't stop that," he threatened even though he was aware that he was the one who needed help.

"Come on, it's not that bad." The mirth in Luke's voice betrayed that statement; he was very much aware how much Aidan hated that pet name.

"Did you get a chance to speak to your friend?" he inquired instead of getting into the discussion.

"I met her yesterday during her lunch break," Luke explained. "She told me some more about the bakery. They do a lot of pastry - the fancy stuff, you know? - but also really good bread baked on stone the old fashioned way. That sounds pretty good if you ask me."

"Did she mention anything about the positions that are open?"

"Well, she said they're always looking for salespersons nonetheless I don't think they would chain you to the counter with your experience."

Aidan rubbed at his face. He would go insane if he had to deal with customers all day without ever being involved in the baking process. He wanted to create new flavours and let his imagination run free just as he did here in The Sugar Stop. Of course he was aware that those were some pretty high expectations and some companies out there would most likely look at him like he was crazy for that. He just didn't want to be even more miserable than he was now.