Day 18 - Cupcake with a D

The warm weather didn't last long. Friday morning Aidan stood with April behind the counter and clutched a cup of coffee with both hands to defrost his fingers. His hair was still wet although he had used an umbrella on the short walk from his apartment to The Sugar Stop.

April yawned and Aidan lazily nodded in agreement. It was too early to be awake, especial after he had tossed and turned half of the night while mulling the information over in his head for hours. He just couldn't believe that Keith would force himself onto another person. But perhaps they had been drunk and once the other boy realized that things were about to get serious, he had chickened out nevertheless he was already naked in bed with another man. And maybe everything had been one big misunderstanding.

He simply didn't want to believe that Keith was capable of doing such things.

He glanced at the clock and sighed. Unfortunately April had taken advantage of his nearly comatose state earlier and had bribed him into calling the number Josh had left yesterday. Of course she was right but he didn't want to waste his time when there was so much going on right now and nobody could guarantee him that the woman he was about to meet would fit into The Sugar Stop.

They were supposed to meet at nine o'clock and there were only ten minutes left until she would show up and Aidan had to wake up for real.

"Is it too late to cancel?" he mumbled although he already knew the answer. April merely sighed like one would sigh when faced with an especially annoying kid.

"I need to kick Keith's ass," she stated and he frowned in confusion at the sudden change of topic. "And then make him apologize and kiss you."

His frown deepened but she didn't care to explain anything and he honestly wasn't in the mood to discuss that topic. Once November came and Keith was gone he would be able to forget and go on with his life as if nothing had happened in the first place.

The bell over the door rung and he whirled around to see who had come in.

The woman was petite and although her face was reddened from the harsh wind outside and she looked equally as soaked as Aidan she smiled brightly.

"Good morning!" she chirped - it made her look like a bird even more - and placed her umbrella in the stand next to the door. "I'm Lara."

"Oh, yes, good morning." Aidan managed to say, her cheery attitude more than a little bit overwhelming. He couldn't help but think that the customers would love her. He came around the counter to greet her, fearing for a moment that her dainty little fingers would get crushed as they shook hands.

"I'm glad that you could make it on such short notice. Thanks for coming."

"The pleasure is all mine." She smiled, nearly blinding him with the happiness she radiated.

He turned around to April who watched him with a don't-you-dare-mess-this-up-look on her face. "Is it okay if I go into the office with Lara?"

"Of course," April gave him a sickly sweet smile. "boss."

"Uh, okay. Well," He fumbled for words and felt his face become hotter with every second. "Then we'll be in the office." Before he could embarrass himself further - surely resulting in his face melting right off of his skull - he gestured for Lara to follow him and discreetly glowered at April when she went as far as to salute him as he passed her.

He pulled out a chair for Lara and settled down behind his desk as she shed her coat and placed her handbag on the ground. Awkwardly, he cleared his throat because he had no clue what to do.

"So, Josh mentioned that you've worked in a restaurant," he said, unsure himself if it was a question or a statement.

"Yes, for three years. I've worked there as a waitress," Lara confirmed and he nodded slowly.