Day 28 - Pancake Cupcake

On Monday morning, Aidan of course felt like a freight train had hit him. His head was oddly heavy, his eyes itchy and his stomach so upset that he didn't dare eat breakfast. Not even Miss P's obviously very cute King Charles Cavalier Spaniel Henry could lift his mood although the little guy tried hard, butting his wet nose against his leg, whining and blinking adorably. Aidan scratched behind his silky ears nevertheless and Henry's whole body - admittedly not a lot considering the dog's size - wagged in happiness.

Once Miss P had left - after telling him to party less - he leaned against the counter and groaned, squeezing his eyes shut.

"Is Keith kneeling behind that counter?"

Aidan jumped and glared at April who shrugged innocently.

"Sounded very sexual, y'know? Like on the set of a porn production."

"Porn? And you know that why? Been there?" He kinda regretted the last comment but wouldn't take it back. Luckily April didn't look offended at all.

"We like to use different sources for inspiration," she explained casually and leaned against the counter next to him. He gagged slightly.

"You're early," he pointed out, narrowing his eyes at her suspiciously.

"Josh's shift at the hospital matches mine so I decided to ride with him today. Safe the planet and all that stuff." She shrugged again and he snorted in reply. Knowing her she probably only did that so they could make out at every red light on the way over.

"Want some pancakes?" April asked out of the blue after they had stared out into the cold, wet morning for at least ten minutes.

"Huh?"

"Pancakes? I made them this morning but didn't get to eat them."

He scrunched up his face, his stomach doing a few funny flips. "I'll pass, thanks."

This time it was her turn to look at him suspiciously. She resembled Granny a lot and he expected her to whip out a thermometer and force it into his mouth any second. A knowing look crossed her features.

"Okay," she drawled with a wide smile. "Alright, I understand."

He must've looked at her in utter confusion because she lightly punched his shoulder and winked at him.

"You don't have to explain."

"What?"

"You're trying to loose weight to look good for Mister Handsome."

Aidan nearly choked on thin air. "No! Why- I'm not!" he spluttered offended. Was she nuts?

"But I have to tell you that I used wholegrain flour for the pancakes so they're totally healthy."

"I don't want anything from that jerk!" he hissed, eyes burning in frustration. He didn't need someone to remind him that he had been led on, stupid enough to fall for it just to be rejected almost immediately. He didn't need the constant reminder that his life had hit a dead-end and there was absolutely no opportunity for him to move on without losing everything. He didn't need to be reminded how much of a pathetic failure he was.

April looked taken aback. "Sorry," she muttered sincerely. "I didn't mean to upset you."

"I'm sorry, April. There's no reason for me to snap at you." He shook his head and tried himself at a wobbly smile. "I think I haven't had enough sleep last night."

"It's okay," April reassured him and he could've kissed her right then and there for being such an awesome friend. "Do you want to lay down for a bit?"