Chapter 3

DAHLIA

"Take the trash out."

Few days had passed since my decision to ignore the growing pain inside of me. The place that I worked wasn't prestigious but paid the bills and kept me sane. The time that I spend here made me forget about my problems.

Bringing me back to Present, my boss shouted, "Did you hear me, Dahlia?"

His name is Carl, the owner of this old and dreadful diner that sat on the most dangerous streets. This establishment was next to a casino, a place of laughter, money and drinks. As well as, a treacherous place where people disappeared.

I said, flustered, "Yes, Sir."

Carl gave me a final look and walked away.

I finished wiping the stove and grabbed the trash. When I held it, my back ached from the heavy trash bag, which almost made me drop it and cause more work.

Still, I pulled myself together and made my way to the backdoor. Looking at the bright sky, where little stars sparkled and the moon was full, made me feel like I was in a fantasy movie. The pain seemed to cease for a second, as hope began to flourish once again.

I snapped out of those useless thoughts and noticed that no one was around me. If I were to drop dead right now, nobody would care. However, that is what is going to happen when the tumor catches up to me.

Walking towards the trash bin, I suddenly heard some noises. I turned around and saw nothing but black, however, I could clearly hear multiple men talking. As my curiosity got better of me, I paced myself slowly and quietly till I stood behind a dumpster. Looking over, there were three shadows of men standing and the other one was on his knees. their faces were embedded in the darkness or they were facing away from me.

However, the noises turned to voices, and I heard them carefully.

The man on his knees said, "Please let me go. I do- won't do i-it ag-again."

One of the men standing, in the middle, said maliciously, "Of course, you would say that."

The others laughed.

The man kneeling spoke again, "Please."

The other man in the right said, "What do you want to do, Boss?"

I realised that the man in the middle was the Boss of the group. He said, "He is a dead man."

In the next second, a gun was withdrawn and was shot in the head. The body of the man kneeling dropped down and a pool of red liquid began to gather.

After the deed was done, he continued, "Call the clean-up. I don't this when I come back."

The men beside him nodded and began to walk in another direction, while I could stare was the pool of what I believe was blood. Glaring back at the shadows, I noticed that they had disappeared.

I jumped up and began walking to the safe haven of the diner. The back door shut behind me, while my breathing was labored. Thoughts about the murder that I witnessed leaped every other minute and the connections of the mafia that I heard so much about were remembered.

My boss must have heard the commotion, when he shouted, "Dahlia, are you alright?"

I needed to get out of here.

I said quickly, "I need to go home. I am not feeling well. I am sorry."

I didn't wait for an answer, my legs bolted out of the restaurant in less than five minutes. My bag that was once in my locker hung on my shoulders as I ran towards my little apartment. However, my frantic behavior left me looking in every direction, which some noticed.

Finally, I got to my house and put the key in the lock, however, it wouldn't go in. I kept jabbing the key into it, but the panic overtook me. My tears now flowing through my cheeks and little sobs creep a little. I turned the key around and tried again, and this time it went in.

Once inside, I closed the door with a loud noise and locked all the locks that were inside. Walking to the sofa, I let my tears flow freely without control. Still, the clouded event passing through my thoughts every so often.

Eventually, fatigue overtook me, and closed my eyes and drifted to my sleep.

However, even in my dreams, the nightmares followed me. 

-------

Author's note:

Vote and comment.