Chapter 8

MATTEO

Dahlia was an open book.

Her emotions could be read easily, and I was lost in it.

When I told her that nobody would remember after her death, I saw her eyes shifting and her pain out for display as I had uttered the words. For a mere second, I had regretted it, and I didn't know why, however, I decided to ignore it.

She uttered innocently, "What plans?"

The image in front of me was a woman who was portrayed as a lost soul like she needed her missing piece before she drowned in herself.

But the hidden part of her looked deep in my eyes, confident and brave. Ever so few were able to look directly at me, while others are always scared or frantic.

Nobody ever dared to question me, until her.

Until Dahlia.

Her lack of words didn't challenge me, but the softness of her eyes did.

Her enchanting eyes were so mesmerizing that even at a distance, I could see my reflection. The serene bubble that surrounded me made me hazy. This threat pushing us together seemed so inevitable, made me want...

Wait, what am I thinking?

I regained my composure and spoke with motive, "You are going to be my bride, Dahlia."

A sense of surprise was laced around her features as she heard my words. The utter shock in her expression was amusing as she processed what I had just demanded.

She uttered clearly, still surprised, "No."

Nobody ever denied me.

I asked, amused as she dared to deny me, "No?"

She repeated, "No."

I continued, "Why?"

Dahlia tore her pretty eyes from mine as she looked for an answer. Her worried expression made me alert as she looked anywhere but at me. I could feel like she was hiding something from me.

Becoming impatient, I uttered, "Well, Dahlia? I know very well that you are not with anyone else, so what's the excuse?"

The thought of another man in her life made my blood boil and I couldn't understand why. I have met several women in my life, but none were her. Her innocence was alluring and pure as she was.

After few heartbeats, the silence remained until I broke it, "You don't have a choice, Dahlia. I won't let you die, and I will make you my bride."

Dahlia tried, "Everyone has a choice..."

I interrupted her, "Not this time, Dahlia. I am taking away from you."

I had a reason to make her my bride and it was simple.

My crew has been talking behind my back that without a woman, I am not a great leader. Dahlia was perfect, her docile nature would make her follow my every command.

I saw the way she saw me like I was a monster, and maybe a monster is what she needs to see.

As she understood that her freedom was sold, her hands began to shake, and her tears dropped. Her sadness making an effect on me and I was forced to stay away from her as I couldn't process her emotions.

Before she found any excuse, I walked out of the room.

As I walked through the corridor, I realised that it wasn't just what other people thought of my status. I never cared, to be honest. These were other emotions that seemed to flourish when I am around her.

She guarded a secret, that much I knew, and I needed to know. 

--------

Author's note:

Vote and leave your comments.