Chapter 18

MATTEO

"I understand, Luciano. I will talk with you later."

I hung up the phone.

Processing her deepest secret brought relief within me. I had been afraid of her revelation. The woman who made me feel weak could have been a spy, could have betrayed me. Yet, her truth brought another emotion.

Pushing my back against the wall, I thought of a life without her, but I could not, nor I wanted to. Once my father brought his love into this life and she ended up dead, leaving three sons behind.

The never-ending image that revolved around Dahlia integrated into my mind. Looking at her innocence, guilt consumed her, and I could not help to want to take it all from her.

I promised her without even twice and she accepted. She believed in me.

The phone rang again, I huffed loudly for interrupting my thoughts. I did not bother to check it; a strange pull made me want to be next to her. But keeping her was the wrong choice, she could be fated to the same ending as my mother.

Returning to the room I was in before, my gaze shifted to Dahlia's state. She was lying in an uncomfortable position, eyes closed, on the sofa. Helplessness enlaced as I called for her, she never answered me back. Panic present, as my instincts led me next to her. I shook her, but no answer.

Breathing hard, I moved her in my arms, while I called and demanded the doctor to come. He did not object to the demand, because even he knew there would be consequences of not following an order.

***

AFTER A WHILE

Four hours, thirty-seven minutes, eleven seconds.

That is how long Dahlia has been inside for checking. Richard, the famiglia doctor, came instantly, I had been asked to wait outside, unwillingly I accepted for now. I had not been able to stand still since I saw her lying unconscious.

Restlessness owned my current state, a sense of slipping away, a moment of weakness...

The phone rang every ten minutes waiting to be answered. However, I was not in the right state to have a conversation with anyone. Unwillingly, once again, I heard the ringtone and saw the same caller as before, Alexandro.

Rage enlaced, I finally answered the call, "Stop calling me, Alexandro."

He tried, "Apologies for calling several times, Sir. It is important that---"

Interrupting him, "Enough. I don't need your services any longer."

Once again, Alexandro tried, "Sir, it is about Dahlia and her--"

Taking a deep breath, I repeated, "I already know what she was hiding."

Alexandro started again, "Then you already know about her..."

I insisted, "Yes, I already know about the Ridges and the situation."

There was an annoying silence that was creeping up, I was about to say something when the doctor exited the room and stood in front of me. Almost hanging up, when Alexandro finally said slowly, "Sir, I am not sure what you are talking about. I found something else."

Frowning at his words, my gaze shifted to Richard, as he was avoiding me and stared down, and nervousness surrounded him. I could feel the dread that was about to shatter into something worst.

I dared, not sure who I was asking, "What did you find out?"

Richard said instead, "Mr. Donati, I believe I have bad news for you."

Returning the phone in my ear, Alexandro continued in one breath as he was ripping a bandage, "I was going through her doctor's papers and it appears that Dahlia has..."

In front of me, Richard seemed to be unaware of the phone as he uttered, "It seemed like something normal, but I found these pills." His hands now visible as he showed a yellow bottle and continued, "I decide to run initial tests. I was correct to suspect that she has tumour. Often, the pills that I found are given to subdue the pain. I will run more tests to find out how sev---"

I stopped listening to Richard as Alexandro uttered, "Her doctor gave her options, but she rejected them. The only thing that he prescribed were some pills."

I hung up the call without another word and the doctor took that moment to return inside. I was alone in the hall as I fell slowly to the ground, petrified and paralysed.

Tears evaporated since my mother died, but the need to cry had not felt more than now. Powerless after a long time, my hand found its way to the phone again and scrolled through a contact that I swore that I would never call again, or need.

Everything felt like it was slipping away.

Closing my eyes and wiping my tears, I clicked on the caller without a second thought and the beeping began. After three rings, he finally answered, "Matteo."

Forgotten the greetings, I simply demanded weakly, "I need your help."

A small chuckle was heard from the man on the other side of the call as he continued, "I thought I would never hear those words."

Enraged, I asked, "Are you done?"

The man scowl as he understood that this call was important and said instead, "Well... I supposed you called me for something important."

I uttered while regaining my composure as I uttered her name, "It is about Dahlia."

Losing a little interest in the conversation, he continued, "Your brother told me about her and I did provide my help. But alas, I don't understand how else I can help you."

I did not bother to run in circles, "She has tumour."

Without another word, he whispered unsure, "Oh..."

Taking a deep breath, I swallowed, "I need your help to find a doctor that can fix her."

He asked with a motive, "What do I get in return?"

Enraged, I began, "Of course, you wo--" However, I stopped midway and once again begged, "What do you want?"

Without hesitation, he demanded, "I want my son."

Another deep breath in, I whispered, "You lost him a long time ago."

He continued, "That is not true. If it was, then you wouldn't have called me."

I narrowed my eyes and asked, "What makes you think that you are my first call?"

Ignoring my question, he assured instead, "I will make calls and see what I can do."

I began, "Castillo...", gratitude almost slipped out, but those words were never uttered, fear perhaps or anger towards my own father, I wasn't sure...

Castillo whispered even without concrete words, "I know," and then he hung up.

----

Authors note:

Vote and leave your comments.