Chapter 4

MATTEO

A voice called at me, "Boss."

Born into a pure bloodline of Italians made me a royalty, especially on my job. Donati family kept growing through generations until we owned every part of New York. Many establishments like restaurants, clubs, real estates, and a chain of casinos.

However, Donati family also were involved with illegal things, such as selling drugs in the streets and weapons for whoever paid a good price.

The voice repeated, "Matteo, are you listening?"

Looking to my right, I could see my younger brother with a weird look, but I noticed the name he called me by. I let it slide for now as he was an excellent capo, and recently a consigliere.

With our father retiring, his son's positions were changed.

My other brother, spoke, "It is Boss for you."

Luciano, the brother who always followed into my father's steps. Although I was the older brother, I never understood why he cared for his approval. My father was a ruthless man and a man who should not cross, not even my mother.

Zack retaliated to Luciano, "I know very well."

Luciano was the underboss of the Donati family, and he has proved it multiple times. He proved today when he killed the man that harmed this family.

As the older brother, I always noticed how different we were. Luciano was sharp and calculating, Zack was impulsive and spontaneous, and I was neither. I could never be anything out of the norm.

After my mother died, my relationship with my father changed leaving me dreading the man. This led me to alienate my brothers for a while, which was lonely.

Eventually, the environment we were in kept us together. I became the best Capo of the Donati family.

Now, I was the Boss of the Donati Clan, but to keep my position locked in tight, I need a wife. Those who oppose me will understand that I am serious about my position.

Luciano said, "Yes, a job well done."

His voice broke my thoughts and I asked, curiously, "What did you say?"

Luciano uttered, "The thought that he could get away from us after for what he did."

Zack shrugged his shoulders as he said, "He had it coming."

I agreed, "It had to be done."

Luciano ordered, "Zack, delete the footage from that restaurant next to the casino. I saw that camera days ago."

Zack replied, "On it."

Zack took the laptop to his lap and started typing multiple letters away, making the clicking sound every so often. My younger brother had a gift with technology, which made my job easier.

I began talking to Luciano about the New York streets and few establishments that we thought about buying, which Zack worked on his job.

Our conversation led us about the Capo's shifts, until Zack whispered, "No."

Instantly, I faced Zack and sat straighter. I asked, "What happen?"

Zack still kept looking at the screen of the laptop, to which he responded, "This is bad."

I repeated with a deadly tone, "WHAT?"

Finally, Zack tore his eyes from the laptop and had a disbelieving look on his face.

Ignoring my clear question, he brought the laptop up to me and put it on the table, while Luciano followed to see the commotion.

Zack pressed play and began playing from the moment we caught the culprit. I looked up to Zack and uttered, "I know how we killed him. I don't need to see this."

My younger brother only said, "Wait."

I gave him a deadly look, but he stood on his ground.

I waited.

I looked at the entire footage, and before it ended, a woman was seen in a uniform. Her face couldn't be seen as the darkness surrounded her.

Her body began to shake uncontrollably, and she still stared at the direction that we went. After few heartbeats, she moved and ran towards the diner that stood next to the casino.

The door closed, and so did the footage.

My anger started to rise as nobody saw this woman who was standing for too long. Now, she had to pay the price with her life.

Standing up, I shouted to them, "Who is she?"

Silence filled the air.

When nobody answered, I shouted again, "FIND HER."

I left the room before my brothers could explain.

Thoughts echoed in my mind.

She was a dead woman.

-------

Author's note:

Vote and comment.